Recording techniques/restrictions.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Recording techniques/restrictions.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.
I often wonder how many 'listeners' ever notice how Ruby's recording manager got her to "go easy" on certain letters of the alphabet. In those memorable days, when Ruby was in the recording studio frequently, there were certain letters of the alphabet that caused 'popping' on the studio microphones, in particular 't's - 'b's and 'p's. As a consequence, efforts were made to soften those letters to aviod the 'popping' on the microphone.

'S's also caused a problem, they tended to cause a 'hiss'. It was always difficult for Ruby, or any artiste, to remember whenever one of these letters came along in the lyric during an actual 'take', to soften it ,or leave it out. I have just listened to 'Happy Days & Lonely Nights and there are quite a number of cases whereby Ruby actually cuts off the 't's - i.e. - Lonely Nigh,,, and so on, have you noticed? Because of the sensitivity of the microphones they had to be protected to eliminate 'popping', that is where 'spit guards' came into being. As time went on with these spit guards, performing artistes got closer and closer to the microphone, at times so close that they appeared to be painting their tonsils with them and they became hazardous. So often I had to change and dispose of foam guards because they became impregnated with lipstick. These days the microphone never leaves their lips at all, they never realise that they are hiding their faces. What a shame. - Cue for song - 'I'm Old Fashioned, But I Don't Mind It"

I really must get up to date,

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Folks,

Bernie it is so funny that you have posted this message because I can remember a story from way back in time where they said that after Ruby had recorded"Heartbeat" she was rushed back into the recording studio to re-record part of the song.

It seems like as you have stated Ruby had lost the T and it sounded as though she was singing "Heartbee".

I wonder if "Listen listen to my heartbee" would have been a hit.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Recording Techniques etc.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham

Back in those days, such a fuss was made about 'popping' and 'hissing' etc. Cubicules were used for solo singers, as well as isolating certain instrumental sections of the orchestra to prevent them 'spilling over'. I can remember engineers trying to prevent the sound of a guitarist's fingers sliding up and down the frets of the guitar. Personally, I think it adds something to the performance.

I am so pleased that I experienced those wonderful days. Sorry to say that the changes that have been made in the studios today amount to cheating really. Electronically they can artificially produce records that have little or nothing to do with the recording artiste(s) yet the artiste(s) consider themselves to be huge recording stars. That really makes me sound like an old 'pro' but nevertheless it is true.

Yesterday, I unearthed a really beautiful song that I have had on a cassette for many years and I listened to it over and over again. During a radio series that Roger Whitaker did for the BBC, light years ago, he invited listeners to send in their songs with the promise that he would record the best one. A song called 'WHY' became the winner and, true to his word, he recorded the song. A very good song with really excellent lyrics, and you can actually hear them. I wish that I could play it for you, it's an enjoyable recording with a great arrangement.

One day I must relate the story of when Roger Whitaker saved my life when Roy Orbison fell sick and couldn't appear. I thought that I was going to get lynched at the time.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.