Ray Burns

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Ray Burns

Post by Brian Henson »

Ray Burns, you will remember, was one of the vocalists with Ruby, Ronnie Harris and Diana Decker on the recording of those two great songs from the film 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I seem to recall hearing him on the radio a few years ago saying he was still singing, but I think he died shortly after the broadcast. I've checked his name on various internet death lists, but cannot find mention of him. I wonder if any contributors to the Ruby site have any recollections of him and whether he has indeed died.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Ray Burns

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Brian,

I didn't ever cross paths with Ray Burns. He was a very good vocalist and did a lot of broadcasting. He was also quite well respected in the recording business.

I too am of the belief that Ray has passed away, but I am unable to confirm that, but - I know a man who can. His name is Tony Hiller, a man who spent his life in the music business, mostly in publishing and song writing. He wrote the Eurovision song for The Brotherhood Of Man. - 'Kisses For Me'. I will give him a call and see if we can solve your question regarding Ray Burns.

Adios Amigo.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Many thanks Bernie. I'm looking ahead to possibly having to write a piece about Ray Burns in the future - so any info on him would be much appreciated. His career goes back quite a long way before his Columbia recordings. He'd previously recorded in 1949 with the Ambrose Orchestra.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Ray Burns

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Brian,

Regarding your enquiry about Ray Burns. My friend Tony came up with the following data.

Ray died about 6 to 8 years ago, (in fact Tony went to his funeral.)

He had a hit in February 1955 with a song called 'Mobile', it apparently reached No. 4. Later that same year, in August, he had another hit with a song called 'That's How A Love Song Was Born'. Eric Jupp was the musical director on both records.

Both my friend and I are old enough to remember those days. Glad to have been of service.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.