Ronnie Carroll Interview in "In Tune International"

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
David

Ronnie Carroll Interview in "In Tune International"

Post by David »

The December 2005 issue of "In Tune International" features an interview with Ronnie Carroll. It features a nice photo of Ronnie dancing with Ruby. He also talks about how Dan Murray, Ruby's father, gave him a break as a singer when he suggested he sing some songs at the Ulster Hall.

Bernie Burgess

Ronnie Carroll

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Hopeful of making this news item even more interesting, I'd like to expand on it.

Ronnie Cleghorne,(Ronnie Carroll), was not the only artiste to be working concert halls, and the like, in Ireland in those days. Along with Ronnie, and Ruby, there were other struggling artistes trying to make a name for themselves in showbusiness. There was a vocal act called The Singing Sweethearts, years later their daughters made a very big impact on this side of the Irish Sea, their name - The Nolan Sisters.

An Irish tenor called Joe Mclaughlin, who was also trying to make an impression in the business, decided to change his name, he came across the Irish sea and became a very big star, so big that a hollywood film was made about his life story, - the name he chose was Joseph Locke.

Yet another artiste decided to change his name - Charlie Sherrard, he became Patrick Hagan and he starred on Irish television. In later years, Ruby did a guest appearance on his highly successful television show in Dublin. His son also rose to stardom, when he won the Eurovision Song Contest, twice, if my memory serves me correctly, his name - Johnny Logan.

When we, The Jones Boys, were working in Variety in around 1953/4, we crossed paths with Ronnie Carroll when we played at The Shakespeare Theatre in Liverpool. He was 'blacking up', (as it was known in those days), and was appearing in a show called 'Hollywood Doubles' as Nat 'King' Cole.

The Variety theatres were bursting at the seams then. Happy days indeed.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.