Marie Cunningham

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

Marie Cunningham

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Ruby's long standing accompanist and companion Marie Cunningham (Murphy) has sadly died on 15th March at the age of 81.
Marie was a major influence in Ruby's early career and I am sure that the older fans who remember her would wish to convey their condolences to Marie's family.

Regards, Ted

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Marie Cunningham

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Sad news, Ted, thank you for letting us know. I only met her the once, at the plaque unveiling ceremony, but it was clear she was a life-long friend of Ruby's.

Another link with the past has sadly gone. I send my condolences to her family.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Yes it is very sad news another part of Ruby life gone. Marie played a major part in Ruby’s early career and Ruby was very comfortable singing with her playing. I also would like to send my condolences to her family.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

The news of Marie's passing has come as a major shock to me, it happened whilst I was away in Spain. I telephoned Marie regularly, before she went into the Nursing Home and whilst she was there as a 'resident'. I telephoned just before flying to Spain and I was told that she had been taken into hospital. I was due to 'phone this coming weekend so when I read the posting here on Ruby's website today I was devastated. As everyone knows, Ruby and Marie were very close, the fact that Marie was a Catholic made not a scrap of difference to Ruby, in fact they made fun of the fact. I have just spoken to her son Frank jnr. at their home and he gave me all the details. Sadly the funeral has already taken place, I should have been there and I'm bitterly disappointed that I knew nothing about it.

Marie played a huge part in Ruby's life, they were so very close. They travelled extensively together to many parts of the world. In the early stages of Ruby's carreer Marie acted as secretary/travelling companion and regularly as her pianist. I last saw Marie when the plaque was unveiled on the facia of The Ulster Hall. She was quite poorly then but still made the effort to be present for the unveiling. I regularly confided in Marie, she was very dear to me. I met all of her family members apart from her Grandchildren. She was part of my life as well as Ruby's. I will miss her dearly. Each time I spoke to her over the telephone I would ask her if she would 'Play me off with some TAB music and she would La La La vocally to "I Want To Be Happy" over the telephone.

Rest in Peace dear Marie - "Im going now Marie - PLAY THE MUSIC!!!!!"
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Sun May 17, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

It seems I have missed so much news whilst I have been offline and clearly not all of it good news. I was so sorry to hear of the passing of Marie, may she rest in peace, and I wish to extend my deepest sympathy to all the family. I know how close she and Ruby were. This was particularly evident in the "Songbirds" dvd. Please God they will be together now looking down on us all.

As well as being close friend and accompanist to our own dear Ruby, Marie was also accompanist to the "Girl from Donegal" Bridie Gallagher. Marie also accompanied "Tyrone's Queen of Song" Eileen Donaghy and Marie's husband acted as her manager for many years. Both of these Irish singers were contemporaries of Ruby and they were all good friends. Eileen described her as like family.

1952mgyb

Post by 1952mgyb »

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ob ... 09056.html

For anyone who missed the obituary in the NI press.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Thanks for the obituary, it's quite extensive. I had forgotten that Marie appeared with Big Bill Cambell, that must have been in the 40s - PHEW!!!