Jimmy McGarry (LARRY PETERS), Britain's Al Jolson (and Ruby)

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
rbl.ca

Jimmy McGarry (LARRY PETERS), Britain's Al Jolson (and Ruby)

Post by rbl.ca »

When I was a boy growing up in Whitehorse, Yukon (Canada), I knew an Irish singer whose name was Jimmy McGarry. In the early '50s, Jimmy (stage name LARRY PETERS) had toured Northern Ireland with Ruby Murray. He had programmes and posters for their shows. Larry was billed as "Britain's Al Jolson".
Jimmy gave up show business and came to Canada. In Whitehorse he sang with local bands. Jimmy was killed in a car accident in 1957, and is buried in Whitehorse.
Does anyone remember Jimmy, or Larry Peters?
Last edited by rbl.ca on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bernie Burgess

Jimmy McGarry

Post by Bernie Burgess »

In reply to the rbl.ca enquiry

Welcome to the Official Ruby Murray website.

Ruby frequently spoke to me about the artistes that she toured with in Ireland and how very much she enjoyed those days. I can remember the name of Jimmy McGarry being mentioned in her conversations but the one person who can give you much more information would be Ruby's life long friend - Marie Murphy, (nee Cunningham). Marie is still living in Lisburn Co.Antrim so I will call her and get some more details and bring them to the website.

Adios Amigo. Bernie (Burgess)

rbl.ca

Jimmy McGarry (aka Larry Peters), 'Britain's Al Jolson'

Post by rbl.ca »

Bernie, it's been great chatting with you privately.

Now, I'm appealing to any and all in the 70-80 age group.

DOESN'T ANYONE REMEMBER JIMMY McGARRY, and his days of touring with Ruby?
Last edited by rbl.ca on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbl.ca

Something new about Jimmy, aka LARRY PETERS !

Post by rbl.ca »

I've still had little response to my first request for information about Jimmy McGarry's days of touring with Ruby, but I see that B.ADAMS has posted a story about meeting Ruby years ago. This meeting was initiated through Barry's meeting Jimmy in Canada.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER Jimmy McGarry as LARRY PETERS ?
Any recollections would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by rbl.ca on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbl.ca

Jimmy McGarry / Larry Peters 1954 photos

Post by rbl.ca »

I’ve received no further responses to my enquiry about Jimmy McGarry. Thanks to Barry Adams (badams), however, and his story about meeting Ruby in 1955-56, I have obtained several photos of Jimmy and his Irish pals in Vancouver, Canada, in 1954.
Last edited by rbl.ca on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie Burgess

Your Enquiry

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Ralph,

I think that the main problem that you are having with regard to the Larry Peters enquiry is the fact that the tours that Ruby did in Ireland in Larry's period were long before Ruby's success in England. which puts it prior to 1953-4. They would have been confined to venues in Ireland and therefor nobody in England were even aware of Ruby at that time. I don't think Larry came to England to perform.

I will try to refresh Marie Murphy's (nee Cunningham) memory to see what she remembers. Unless there is someone around who would remember Irish tours in the early 50s you will probably be struggiling for information.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

rbl.ca

Ruby & Jimmy/Larry

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi, Bernie. You are right, but I can't believe that the members of this Forum all live in England, and did back then. Surely some of them are still in the Belfast area, or were living there in those days.

Please ask Marie if she knows Maurice McGarry, Jimmy's brother, or if she could help me find his address.
Many thanks and best regards. Ralph
Last edited by rbl.ca on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul mc garry

n

Post by paul mc garry »

Hi
Last edited by paul mc garry on Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

rbl.ca

Jimmy McGarry / Larry Peters

Post by rbl.ca »

Paul said :

Hi. My name is Paul McGarry. My father is Maurice McGarry, brother of Jim McGarry(Larry Peters).
I am looking for anything (pictures, etc) which shows or mentions Ruby and Larry.

My father would be over the moon.

Thank you

My father and mother both live in Belfast, 100 yards from the McGarry family birthplace.

I responded as follows :

Hello, Paul.

I am very pleased that you joined the Forum, and introduced yourself. I have also contacted Jimmy's sister Gloria, and your cousins, Paul & Gloria Sowney, all here in Canada.

I hope that I might see them some day soon.

Ralph

THEN PAUL MYSTERIOUSLY DELETED HIS INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE
Last edited by rbl.ca on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rbl.ca

Jimmy McGarry (aka Larry Peters), 'Britain's Al Jolson'

Post by rbl.ca »

Well, folks, I finally found documentation of Jimmy's career in Belfast, in the days when he and Ruby toured together. I obtained images of three clippings from THE BELFAST TELEGRAPH, which I've put in a short story which answers a question posed, probably by Eddie McIlwaine, in one of the Telegraph articles : "But whatever happened to the top of the bill, Larry Peters?".

To read the story & see the clips, please click on the following link.

http://rlortie001.shawwebspace.ca/asset ... ppened.doc
I regret that, since moving to Calgary, Alberta, and signing on with a new ISP, I have not been able to re-activate a few of the links in my story about Jimmy McGarry. I will continue to try to set up these links.
I see that Shaw has finally deleted my story from their free webspace. I will try to upload it to my current provider, Telus.

Best wishes to all of Ruby's fans.
Ralph Lortie
Last edited by rbl.ca on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:29 am, edited 12 times in total.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you for your good wishes, Ralph. I am glad you have finally found what you were looking for, and thank you for the extra information about Ruby's early days in Belfast. I hope you will still stay around on this website and enjoy all the Ruby Murray discussions and information.

Best wishes,
Gerald