Ruby - on BBC2??

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Ruby - on BBC2??

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have foolishly left placing this posting until it's nearly too late.
Please check whether Ruby's 'The Very First Christmas of All' is played on BBC 2 - 'Good Morning Sunday' in the morning (Christmas Eve) I have pushed very hard in many directions to get the track included in this programme/

Fingers crossed. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Hello Bernie (I am logged in from my second son's computer, and having a pause from playing with my other two grandchildren!), I think you mean BBC Radio 2 because BBC 2 is the TV channel.

If you go to www.bbc.co.uk and click on Radio 2 you can then click on Shows A-Z to find the one you want. Then click on Good Morning Sunday and you can select the playlist for the last two programmes. Here is a direct link to it http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/goodm ... list.shtml

Sadly you will find that Ruby's record was not played on Christmas Day, nor Christmas Eve.

I also wrote a letter to the BBC urging them to play "The Very First Christmas of All" on any of their Christmas programmes, but I had no reply.
Gerald

rbl.ca

Good Morning Sunday

Post by rbl.ca »

Hello, Gerald.

Thanks for that Radio2 link. Just for the heck of it, I went to that site and submitted a message, scolding them for playing Christmas songs by Johnny Cash, Johnny Mathis, et al., but not any of Ruby's wonderful songs.
Perhaps more of Ruby's fans should do that, too.

Happy New Year to all of Ruby's fans.
Cheers.
Ralph

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Good on yer Ralph.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Folks,

Such a shame that once again we have been overlooked with Ruby Christmas recordings,I myself love her version of "Silent Night".

However I just feel that Radio 2 has no slot any longer for a certain age group........All fifties artists made Christmas recordings but I never hear Dickie Valentine,David Whitfield,Alma Cogan,Joan Regan ect we jut keep getting repeats of Wham and Slade ect

Oh for the good old days.

Happy New year to all Ruby fans where ever you are.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Of course, we all feel aggrieved by the fact that 50s artistes are overlooked in todays programming. We must accept though that those in position of authority, for radio and television programmes of today, are very young people these days and they know very little about the 50s music, or for that matter even the 60s, and so on. Moreover, their feelings are that we are outdated and their music is the only music. I sometimes have to smile when I see 60s 'rockers' walking down the street with their grey hair in pony tails and their tattered jeans trying desperately to hang on to their youth.

The pity is that there doesn't seem to be any room for a programme specifically designed for the 'mature' citizens. Dare I say it, for those who enjoyed music when it was music and not manufactured electronic sounds and girating sexual images. Ronnie Hylton with his 'Sounds of the 50s' was I suppose the last of the seasoned performers who championed the cause. I was fortunate enough to have toured at the same time as Ronnie, he not only had a great singing voice but he was also an excellent entertainer, which is a rarity today. These days the microphone has been drawn ever closer to the tonsils and even then they feel the need to shout and scream as though they are not going to be heard unless they do. Vile language has taken the place of meaningful lyrics which typifies just how todays society has degenerated which results in a complete lack of standards in all aspects of life.

I had better get down of the soap box, I am beginning to sound my age.

BRING BACK MUSIC, and decency.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.