Ruby's US Recordings and Appearances

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
David

Post by David »

How many times did Ruby visit the US? I know that some of her records were released in the US, but does anyone know which ones those were? Did Capitol Records give them much publicity? Also, did Ruby perform any concerts or appear on any television shows in the US?

Regards,
David

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Singles
MGM 11940 Softly, Softly / He’s A Pal Of Mine
Capitol 3377 Make Him Jealous / For Now For Ever
Capitol 3465 A Voice In The Choir / Please Hold Me Tightly
Capitol 3720 Good Luck, Good Health, God Bless You (with Michael Holiday & Eddie Calvert) / John And Julie (Eddie Calvert solo)
Capitol 3947 I’ll Remember Today / Ain’t That A Grand And Glorious Feeling
Capitol 4235 A Pretty Irish Girl / Connemara (with Brendan O’Dowda)

LPs
Capitol T10010 The Voice Of Ireland
Capitol T/ST10327 Irish And Proud Of It
Capitol T10459 Endearing Young Charms
United Artists 15564 Ireland’s Own
Coral 757485 Here’s To The Irish
Peters International PLD2058 / Irish Stars In Concert

Brian

David

Post by David »

Brian,

Thank you for posting that list of singles and LPs. It is interesting that the singles did not focus on Irish-themed songs, but that the LPs were exclusively Irish-themed.

Regards,
David

Bernie Burgess

Ruby's U.S.Appearances.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello David,

To my recollection, Ruby undertook 4 engagements in the States. The first of which was a promotional tour with Norrie Paramor, her A&R man at Columbia Records, to promote her records around radio stations. This was when she met up with Frank Sinatra at a recording session at Capitol Records. Amongst a host of other names she met was Guy Lombardo (& his Orchestra) and Betty Hutton the film actress. Next was an engagement to appear on the Patti Page Show which turned out to be quite a fiasco.

She did two tours of Irish American engagements through an Irish/American promoter called Bill Fuller, on one if these I went with Ruby and it was an experience I will never forget. On the second tour her friend/pianist Marie Murphy (nee Cunningham) went with her.

I couldn't be sure but I think that covers them all. Always happy to provide whatever data I can.

Adios Amigo. Bernie