My Home by Ruby Murray

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

My Home by Ruby Murray

Post by Graham Bunn »

As a fan of Rubys I collect all memorabilia and I have just been very lucky in that I have been given a book entitled "Top Record Stars".

This book has sent me right back to the time when I was a teenager as it contains all the top recording stars of the fifties.

In the book Ruby has written an article entitled "My Home" and I thought I would put a few extracts from the article upon the website as it indicates how down to earth she really was.

"Aren't people kind? I feel pretty lonely even with my husband Bernie around---When we moved into our new bungalow on the Surrey Downs.

Within a short space of time a neighbour asked,"Excuse me,Mrs Burgess,but would you like a cup of tea?Moving is tiring work,and I know how much a cup means".

I could have kissed her.We hadn't any provisions on that first day and those cups of tea she brought for Bernie and me tasted like nectar.

But I was soon to find other friends.Over the fence came a yard broom----we hadn't a yard broom at the time.

The Kitchen
I have very decided ideas about this room.It is the one place in the house where the wife spends most of her time---yet is generally the drabbest spot in the house.

"Not for me,Bernie Burgess",I told my husband.
So,instead,it is a roomy brightly decorated spot,full of labour saving devices and built in cupboards.

The windows are larger than normal.I induced the builder to alter the plans.

That's our bedroom over there.The other?Well,I'm turning that into a nursery.I hope that soon we shall have a reason to put an advertisement in our village paper announcing that "Mr and Mrs Burgess,nee Murray,have been blessed with a babe.

The garden isn't big ---but it's big enough....Anyway at the moment with Bernie and me away so much on tour we must have a plot that we can handle,not one so large that it turns into a jungle of weeds.

We are very happy with our home----and soon we hope that we shall be able to play our own part in the local life.In the meantime Bernie is walking me to a standstill across the downs.

One thing is for certain if he keeps this up I am going to take a "sub"from the house-keping money for an extra pair of low heeled sensible shoes.

There are two photographs which I have never seen before

Ruby is standing inside the bungalow at the window and Bernie is outside and they are both holding a tape measure the caption reads
"Measuring up for curtains with hubby at the new bungalow"

The second picture is of Bernie and Ruby kissing,the caption reads
"Hey you two,hadn't you better get those curtains up first?".

I really enjoyed the article and I hope that you have as well

Best Wishes.
Graham

Jk

Bungalow

Post by Jk »

Thanks for sharing that with us Graham, it shows how really down to earth Ruby really was. Is there any chance you can scan the photos onto your Computer and load them into the picture gallery.
Regards
John.

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

A copy of this book is currently on Ebay Item number: 7547268389.