Biographies

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
David

Biographies

Post by David »

I see that a biography of Ruby was written by Joan Moules, and is now out of print. There are secondhand copies available on various websites, include Amazon, but before I purchase a copy I wanted to know if it is a well-written book and worth reading. Does anyone have any comments about this book?

Also, have there been any other biographies written about Ruby? Thank you.

rbl.ca

Post by rbl.ca »

Hello, David. I obtained a copy of this book on eBay.UK. I enjoyed it very much, although it seems a bit tedious at points in the last few chapters.
I was mainly interested to see if there was any mention of Jimmy McGarry (aka Larry Peters), a Belfast chap that I knew as a boy here in Canada. I wasn't disappointed.
You will surely enjoy the first 5 or 6 chapters.
Best wishes. Ralph

David

Biographies

Post by David »

Ralph,

Thank you for your comments and recommendation.

Regards,
David

Bernie Burgess

Biographies.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello David,

I am a little hestitant about giving my opinions about the Joan Moule book for fear that it might be looked upon as sour grapes. However, I will point out to you that at the time of the book being researched and compiled Ruby was, unfortunately, well into her problem with drinking. That is an inescapable fact which could cause displeasure to some of Ruby's staunchest fans. When you read it you will see that it states that Ruby and Joan were "sharing a bottle of wine" etc, as Joan recorded each interview with Ruby.

As a result, there are facts, times and places that are incorrect. I personaly come in for some pretty harsh treatment but that is of no real consequence. After the book had been released there was an article in a national newspaper which says that Ruby was not happy with the book, perhaps because she realized that I would read the book.

Maybe one day I may be fortunate enough to get my book published and the truth can be told about many, many things. It is very revealing and again I stress that it could upset some of the fans/friends, which may prompt me to soften one or two revelations as I do not wish to upset anyone who may read the book.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

David

Biographies

Post by David »

Bernie,

Thank you for responding to my message about the biography. If I do read it, I will definitely keep in mind what you have said.

I hope that you find a publisher for the biography that you have written.

Regards,
David