New Pictures Of Ruby

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

New Photographs

Post by Brian Henson »

I've just uploaded four photographs of Ruby's appearance at the Britannia Theatre, on the Pier at Great Yarmouth on 8 September 1985. Three are of Ruby on stage, and the other was taken after the show with two other stars on the bill - singer Clinton Ford, and comedian Ken Platt (remember his catch-phrase "I won't take me coat off, I'm not stopping").

These photos have kindly been supplied by Jim Butterick, a moderator on the Whirligig message board - the 1950s Radio/TV/Music discussion forum.

The group photo is making its second appearance in the Library, as I originally up-loaded it on 3 December 2004. This new scan, however, is much finer definition, so I think it's worth seeing again. As Jim stated when he posted them on Whirligig yesterday they all look so happy, and he describes them as lovely people.

Brian

Jk

Post by Jk »

Thanks Brian for sharing them with us.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Hope everybody is well. Yet more great pictures for the scrapbook. I especially like the picture of a young Ruby painting.

In the picture of Ruby on stage in 1985 in the nice blue dress with her arms outstretched, I wonder if she was siging 'Softly, softly' at the time?

Thank you guys for yet more treats.

Martin.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I was delighted to see Brian´s name on the forum again, and even more pleased to see the photos that he has uploaded. I hope that this is a sign that he will make regular contributions once again to the website.

If you are still looking in Brian I have a question to ask you. What do you remember about a cigarette sized coloured photo, part of a numbered series, of Ruby and The Jones Boys appearing on A.T.V.s ´Startime´? The photo has obviously been artificially coloured, we never wore blue ties or trousers that colour.

I have recently tried hard to doctor it up and remove a crease that unfortunately runs right across it but without success. A.T.V. were swallowed up some time ago so there isn´t much chance of trying to contact them to try to trace the small card photo. So what can you remember about it Brian?

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Friends, I have just uploaded two more photos, sent to me by Bernie, two more will be posted on Saturday.
Regards
John.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I remember the Collector's card you wrote about, Bernie. Is it in the RM.org Library? If so, it may have been me who uploaded it, but I don't have the original card myself. I think I found it up for sale on an internet site - possibly e-bay. I have a copy of it saved into my own files, and looked at it just now, but regrettably it has the same crease mark across it that you described.

It would be good to find a better copy. In fact I'd love to own the whole set, but no idea where I might find them.

While it's fresh in my mind, Bernie - I've discovered that there was another lady in your life back in the 1950s. A girl named Priscilla. Ring any bells? It was a song you recorded for Decca with the Jones Boyos. Well, your past has come back to haunt you, because the track has been pulled from the archives and included on a Vocalion label CD titled 'British Rock 'n' Roll at Decca - Vol.2'. What's more, this same CD includes your recording of 'Tutti Frutti' (which has previously appeared on CD). Are you ready to go on the road again? I reckon the offers could come flooding in, now this CD has been launched on an unsuspecting public. Glastonbury next year? Perhaps we should organise an RM.org charabanc outing if so.

Meanwhile, here's a link to the CD - http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddet ... d=CDLK4364

Incidentally, I've not heard 'Priscilla' yet, but think I know the song. Is it the same one also recorded by Frankie Vaughan as B-Side to 'The Garden Of Eden' (I bought the 78 of that)

Brian

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Brian, welcome back. The collector's card is under "Miscellaneous Images" in the library page 2.

The CD "British Rock 'n' Roll" can be bought at Amazon for £7.99 Or HMV
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Brian,

Thanks for coming back to me regarding the small cigarette card sized colour photo. I have a copy of it but of course the same crease appears across it. I had word from John K about it and he has tried very hard to erase the crease mark. Unfortunately there is far too much damage to erase. Thank you for trying an impossible task John but unless we can strike it lucky and find somone who has a better copy we must accept the fact that we are on a loser.

Regarding Priscilla. Brian, how could you? I was hoping to keep that quiet. We hated doing it but Decca insisted that they wanted to cover the song.. Because of what we used in the backing vocal to the solo voice we referred to the track as the Orang-utan song. Rang tang u rang tang...... How embarassing, it is definitely not one of those memorable ´Moments to Remember´ and our ´Singing ing ing´ would never raise ´Á Certain Smile´ in fact it brings about ´The Day That the Rains Came Down´´

Decca didn´t exactly hand us memorable songs and as we said at the time ´It Isn´t Right´ Even The Johnston Brothers, singing purely melody in unison, without any harmony, had better songs than we did. We almost followed their style in another pitifull song ´´Rock a Hula Baby´but we couldn´t resist putting some harmony into the vocal arrangement.

You are right Brian, I won´t be taking to the road again, besides I can´t ever remember any royalty cheques coming our way, from either Decca or Columbia, unless the Boys were paid some after I had left the act.

Gerald even asked me if I was going to buy the C.D.= Decca would have to pay me to take it from them.

Don´t tell anybody else Brian.

Adios Amigos Bernie.

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Meanwhile, I contacted a friend of mine yesterday who is a keen collector of cigarette cards, etc, and has some interesting entertainment star sets. He doesn't have this set unfortunately but has reported back that he believes this card is 1 of a series of 36 issued by Kane Products(Confectionery) in 1957. Each card(mint) is valued at £3.50. No price is given for a full set which usually means that there is no knowledge of the existence of a full set.

Interesting that they were issued by a Confectionery company called Kane Products .... Did they make MURRAYMINTS do you think????

Brian

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello again, I have just uploaded 3 more photos from Bernie. Next posting Wednesday.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

Just a little information on the recently uploaded photographs.

The one labelled 'Quintet' was a publicity photo made up from different shots from a studio session. At one time we had hundreds of them but now they are very scarce.

The one taken with Iris Wlliams was probably taken at a fete but it was long after Ruby and I had parted. You may remember Iris Williams, she had a very big hit with a song from a film, which I think was called 'The Deer Hunter'. If I remember correctly the song was 'Cavatina' but I always reffered to it as 'He Was Beautiful' If I am wrong I am sure Brian will put me straight.

The C.S.E. (Combined Services Entertainments) shot of Ruby standing at a mirror was taken at an R.A.F. station in North Africa. It was a rarity to have a mirror to use on the C.S.E. shows and Ruby had a new dress so she made the most of the mirror. At one of the R.A.F. stations we were left stranded when our Valetta aircraft was commandeered for transporting service families further south in Africa. We were left stranded for five days with nothing to do.The station was called El Adem which was not too far from Tobruk, so, because we were at a loose end, we were driven into Tobruk to visit the officers' beach. The men, three of us, went snorkelling in the sea close to the beach, I managed to get Ruby to try on the viewing mask but when I persuaded her to place the mask on the water, she was shocked when she saw shoals of fish, of different sizes, that were all swimming all around us. She leapt vertically up out of the water into my arms and refused to put her feet down again so I had to carry her back to the beach

The boy with the inquisitive mind is a little gem. He was fascinated by all the sparkling bits on Ruby's dress.

I hope that everyone is enjoying seeing the photos from Ruby's own personal collection. "There's More" so watch this space

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys, Hope you are all well and having a good weekend.

John, thanks for all your work in putting all these pictures on for us. I am looking forward to seeing the rest that Bernie has mentioned.

I like the pic 'Inquisitive mind'. What colour was that dress by the way? Perhaps Bernie knows. Also Ruby's new dress in the CSE picture, is that the same one she wore on the sleeve of 'Your favourite colleen' LP?

Thanks.

Martin

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Guys, new photos now posted, next posting Saturday. Enjoy.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi John,

Thanks for all your sterling work!

Martin :D

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

These are all really magnificent photographs to have in our library, and I add my thanks to Bernie and John for all the hard work that has gone into getting them there.

The Host of Stars at Blackpool just shows how popular not only the stars were but also the seaside resort itself. I imagine that today you would never see so many people in the one place for the whole summer season as you did then.

I love the warm smiles between Ruby and Tommy Steele - looks like there could have been some romance there!

Some of the loveliest pictures of Ruby are those with the two "babies" Julie and Tim. I must admit to having seen these before when Bernie kindly lent me a family album, but made my own decision that they were personal ones and so I did not copy them to post in the library. However, I have to say Bernie that it is very kind of you to do so now, and let us all see and make copies of them.

Thanks also to Brian for the later pictures taken in Great Yarmouth, we don't have too many of this era.

Another one which I love to see is the one of Ruby sitting for her own portrait, together with the painter.

I think the one with the young lad looking at the sequins must be quite early - I am sure I remember that this was one of the favourite dresses Ruby wore when she appeared in Quite Contrary. I don't think we ever knew what colour it was, way back then!

The shot taken during the filming of Touch of the Sun shows the very smart suit in which Ruby appears. She looked so elegant in it, and I often wonder if it was one of her own, or was it just part of the studio wardrobe and she had to give it back. Perhaps Bernie can remember if he ever saw it in her home wardrobe.

Well I seem to have rambled on while scanning through the great new selection. Sorry about that! I must get on with the downloading.
Gerald