New Pictures Of Ruby

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello all, I have just uploaded another three photos, more on Saturday.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

The first of the 3 new photos was taken after Ruby did a personal appearance in Harrison & Gibson stores. The winter coat suggests that it must have been a very cold day.

The next one was taken in Great Yarmouth and features members of the show in which Ruby appeared, Dev Shaun is the Irish comedian and Toni Dalli (Italian born tenor)

The 3rd one is a real gem. Ruby appeared in a show in Jersey, The Channel Islands, with Sandy Powell. Sandy was still performing in his very old age but was loved and admired by everyone in show business. His catch phrase was created in the good old days of radio when folks had to make sure that the accumulator was charged up to be able to listen in. "Can You Hear Me Mother" stayed with him throughout his long career. He was also famous for his comedy ventriloquist act which he performed in theatres throughout the British Isles. As they say, "They don't make 'em like that anymore"

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello all, I have just uploaded another three photos from Bernie. I have made a mistake on the second one it should be called "Family Fitness", but I got distracted by a messenger conversation with my brother-in-law.
Sorry for that.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Concerning the latest 3 photos that John has uploaded,

The first one I cannot tell you much about. Ihave no idea when Ruby met Hugh Llyod. I can usually recognise her outfits but the one in this picture eludes me.
The second one I remember very well. At that time I was doing a little running and trying to keep fit. Ruby was not so keen, she never joined me on an early morning run.
The third one was once again taken at Rectory Cottage. I had built an open fire place in the dining room, facing it with the stone from a wall that I had to demolish along the front of the house. We both loved open fires, but it wasn't easy to get the chimney right. Fortunately, it didn't spill any smoke into the room when I had finished. I built a beaten copper canopy so the appearance was very pleasing. We frequently had cosy warm evening meals and sat around the fire afterwards. In this shot Ruby must have had a similar evening in mind, not that she did the chopping of wood, that was my job.

Julie was about the age of starting to go to school, we were very proud of her in her school uniform.

More later. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello All, 3 more photos uploaded from Bernie, he will explain them for you. Saturday is the next uploading, and sadly that will be the end for a while, I have saved quite a nice photo for the last one so be sure to look in.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Another nice set of new photographs. Thanks to Bernie and John we have a good range of pictures of Ruby covering more than just the Black and White days of the 50s and 60s.

Good Stuff!
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Thanks John for all the work put in uploading all these photographs,a job well done.

Lots of thanks to Bernie for sharing these special photographs ,and it was so nice to see Ruby and Bernie with the young Julie and Tim.

These shots must have brought back many happy memories for you Bernie.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

The latest 3 photographs.
The first of which is a very early shot of Ruby, perhaps when she was involved with the Quite Contrary series. It's perhaps 1954ish.

The second one was taken in the dressing room at Hulme Hippodrome in Manchester during the pantomime - 'Dick Whittington & His Cat' 1959/60. It was quite an eventful pantomime with Ruby in the early stages of pregnancy, she was expecting our first baby - Julie, She was born in May 1960.only two or three months or so after the end of the panto season. Freddy Mills, the ex champion boxer was also featured in the show.
I remember being very impressed with his new Citreon motor, it was the first one that I had seen that rose up from the ground higher, and lower, at the touch of a button.
The third one was taken outside the kitchen door at Rectory Cottage in Wootton. The high chair was quite a novelty, the top panel slid out to place the baby into the seat and slid back in position around the baby's waist line. It also had wheels which enabled it to be very mobile. Strangely I cannot remember Ruby's hair being quite so red as it is in this photo. I was very sad to leave Rectory Cottage, it was full of memories but the garden was huge and there were 3 lawns so it provided me with plenty of backache,
We bought 2 old street lamps and had them installed strategically in the garden. If they are still there they must be worth a fortune these days

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Brian Henson

Ruby at Harrison Gibson store

Post by Brian Henson »

Bernie - re your message of 30 July mentioning the recently uploaded photograph of Ruby at Harrison Gibson store - is there any reference as to whether it was the Ilford Essex store? The shot is not recognisable to me from the photograph, but if it is Ilford I'm wondering how I missed that appearance. I still live in the town now, and Gerald was a resident too at that time. Gerald and I have reminisced about Ruby's record signing visit to Ilford Music & Sports shop, but I don't think either of us ever mentioned Harrison Gibson before. I'm sure you'll remember that big store in the High Street, Gerald, and recall that it burned down one night in the mid to late '50s. It was subsequently re-built and remains still as one of the only top grade stores in Ilford (sandwiched between Oxfams and 99p shops these days). I wonder if Ruby's visit was at a post-fire grand re-opening?

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Yes, Brian, I do remember the Harrison Gibsons fire of the 50s. Even being several miles away, I remember seeing the glow and smoke from my bedroom window. I cannot recall what the entrance looked like (being a big furniture shop it wasn't one that I went to of my own accord!) although the H-G symbol is certainly familiar. We might guess that other Harrison Gibson shops around London would have the same type of construction, so it could be somewhere other than Ilford.
It is now a challenge to find out more about this nice picture of Ruby, and I have done a bit of Googling and come up with this link http://www.trolleybus.net/rh.htm. Scroll down and look at picture number RH4 - you can click on it to make it bigger. Unfortunately the picture is not dated, but it does show clearly the shop site after the fire while it is under reconstruction. The top of this website dates the trolley bus to a period between 1938 and 1959 so that does not help.
John has added the date of the Ruby photograph (presumably with help from Bernie) as 1956. I can only say that in this year I was 16 and I would have walked in my bare feet across cut glass to get to see Ruby if she were going to be only 6 miles from my home, but I don't recall anything in the local paper (The Ilford Recorder) about a visit to Harrison Gibsons either before or after the fire.
My view is that it is either a picture taken before the fire at Ilford, or perhaps that it was taken at a different H-G store.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

May I join in here.. I will take another look at the photo itself to see if there is a date anywhere on it. I can only add that it was prior to Ruby and I meeting in 1957, but judging by her appearance it's my guess that it was taken in 1956. It is also my guess that the shot would have been taken somewhere in the London or greater London area and not in the provinces.

When I sent it for posting, I had no idea where Harrison & Gidson's shop was so I have learned something from both Brian and Gerald. I will inform you both if I can establish any more facts after looking at the photo again. I might try a very long shot and ask Marie if she remembers anything about Ruby's visit to the stores. You may recall that Marie travelled with Ruby around that time as her secretary and travelling companion. It would have been in the period when Ruby rented an apartment in the Regents Park area and Marie was with her then too.

More Annon. Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

J.K. is due back on line very soon and he has a few more photos to upload. In the meantime I have been rummaging again and realised that there are a number of colour transparencies that might be of interest to friends/fans. Gerald has kindly offered to attend to all the necessary technical work, when he returns from his trip in a couple of weeks, so hopefully we can all enjoy some new shots of Ruby once again. Bear in mind that most of the shots were taken at various interesting locations so they may not be full face shots but location shots.

John K will no doubt upload the rest of the shots that he has on file in the next few days.

Bst wishes to you all.

Adios amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Posr Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
J.K. and I had a very long chat on Skype today and he reminded me that the photos that he has left in his file are very much Christmassy shots which we both previously agreed are best kept until the festive season is here. This means that unless I can come up with yet more photos we will have to wait for when Gerald has done his magic with the colour transparencies.
In addition, I could open my box of press stories and cuttings. I feel sure that there will be lots of interesting items amongst them.

My very best wishes to you all.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie, Hi friends,

That is a good idea, saving the festive photos until nearer to Christmas. I wonder if Gerald will be producing the lovely festive page again this year? Hope so!!!

Martin :)