Plaque Unveiling Confirmed

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Now that Martin's 'Teaser' has run it's course, I wish to bring the plaque posting back into prominence because 'off the record' I have had a wager with Gerald that the viewing figures for it will reach 10.000 by Christmas Day. It looked a safe bet a few days ago but it's hesitating somewhat at this moment.

I lost out on the 'Teaser' so I must do something to save me losing out on my wager.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

The counter is on 9999 as I type this, so it should now go to 10000! Magnificent viewing figures.
Gerald

Sandy

Viewing counter

Post by Sandy »

Is there a prize of the 10000th viewer?
Sandy :lol:

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Sandy,

I am not in possession of the gold stars at the moment, but when I am I will see that you get one.

Incidentally, Ruby seems to having difficulty keeping those lift doors open doesn't she?

Merry Christmas Sandy,

Adios Senora. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

The truly amazing viewing figures for this posting continue to rise quite rapidly. We are half way to another thousand viewers and on the way to 12000.

I continue to hope that some of the viewers would post a message after scanning the message board, How about it friends?

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Since the last posting in connection with the plaque unveiling in Belfast, which related to viewing figures for this posting, as of January 18th when the figure was just under 12000 viewers, I roughly calculate that over 1500 people have viewed the posting in a period of approximatey 7 and a half weeks. Truly amazing.

There has been quite a lot of rain in Belfast during the winter months so I am thankful that the plaque is sheltered by the huge canopy outside of the Ulster Hall. It is to be hoped that someone has been delegated to give the plaque a polishing from time to time.

I did try to get some of the T.V. companies to let the family have a copy of their footage of the event but my pleas fell on stony ground. I intend to try again, even though I don't hold out much hope because copyright comes into it and to get around that is extremely difficult. Thankfully we did manage to cover it extremely well within our own group of dedicated fans.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Gerald Lawrence

Viewing Figures

The total viewing figure for this thread is now well over 20,000, which is quite remarkable considering that as a news item it is well over a year old now. I can't make out whether the same people are coming back time and time again just to boost the figures, or in fact new viewers are looking in all the time.

I can only repeat the often made request on this Message Board - if you are a newcomer and you like what you see here on this website, don't be afraid to post your own comment because you will surely get a response and find we are all quite friendly really!
Last edited by Gerald Lawrence on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

After recently visiting the site of Ruby's grave and giving the whole area a good cleaning up, it sparkled after I had finished, the plaque in Belfast came into my mind.

If there are any members who live in Belfast, the next time they are passing The Ulster Hall perhaps they could take a peep under the canopy to see if someone is giving the plaque a good polishing. It's very preciouis and it is designed to last a very long time but the ocasional polish would help to preserve it.

Kindest regards to everyone.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Recently, my friend J.K. informed me that he has uploaded both speeches, (the Lord Mayor's and mine) from the unveiling of Ruby's plaque in Belfast on to - http:uk.youtube.com.madaboutruby.

Luckily, the entire speech was included.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

YouTube

Post by Jk »

Hi everyone, I would just like to point out that the link Bernie has put on does not work. The one you should use is http://www.youtube.com/ then use search Ruby Murray and it will bring them up, or http://www.youtube.com/user/madaboutruby Also the viewing figures it shows are not up to date, currently Bernie's speech has been viewed 38 times the Lord Mayor's 23, and The Plaque 30. I think that is good to say I have not told anyone apart from Bernie, Gerald, and Brian. I would also like to point out that it is better to view during the week rather than weekend, you seem to get some freezing of the picture at weekends, still it is worth a try.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

(P.S.) After posting this list of 'Teasers' I realised the flaw in the answers system. To save revealing your list of answers by posting them, send them to me - bernieburgess@terra.es. This way no-one can copy.- Bernie

Hello Friends.
HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO THE 'TEASERS'
ENTERED UNDERNEATH EACH QUESTION>
At the latter end of this month, March, there are some significant anniversaries, including : - Ruby's Birthday, the erection of the commemorative Plaque in Belfast city centre, the release of the Golden Anniversary C.D. and the release of my book - 'Ruby...My Precious Gem'. To celebrate these anniversaries I have devised a special selection of Tuneful Teasers which I have chosen to call The Top Twenty Tuneful 'Teasers'. I hope that you will enjoy solving them as much as I have in devising them. Pens and pencils at the ready. -

Here are The Top Twenty Tuneful 'Teasers'.

1. In which of Ruby's songs does she combine two different rhythms
and two different nationalities?

(O'Malley's Tango) - Irish reel/jig and Tango - Irish and Spanish

2. In which of Ruby's songs does she ask many unanswered
questions?

('Who Knows) Many questions are asked .

3. In which of Ruby's songs does she make it clear that 'Your
return .... brings about a beneficial transformation?

'Get Well Soon' "Your return is my silver lining"

4. In which of Ruby's songs does she take drastic measures to protect
herself?

'Away From You' "Protect myself with a loaded gun"

5. In which of Ruby's songs is it suggested that we "Set the date
this week"?

'Spring, Spring, Spring' The actual line is sung by Ronnie Harris

6. In which of Ruby's songs does something "Start all over
again"?

'Berfore We know It' "...childhoods here and then, it starts all over
again"

7. In which of Ruby's songs does she become associated with
a minstrel singer?

'Keep Smilin' At Trouble' -It was written by Al Jolson

8. In which of Ruby's songs does she list some political
parties?

'Delaney's Donkey' "Wigs & Conservatives.... Liberals Torries etc.

9. In which of Ruby's songs does she tell us where there is
"No care for tomorrow"?

'Through the Eyes of a Child' "....with no care for tomorrow

10. In which of Ruby's songs is she loosely connected with
Royalty?

'True Love' Princess Grace made it a worldwide hit with Bing.

11. In which of Ruby's songs does she claim that
"You weren't aware"?

'In Love' ".... that I was there"

12. In which of Ruby's songs does she suggest that she
"Spend the rest of my life right here"?

'Slowly With Feeling' "With your arms around me and you so near"

13. In which of Ruby's songs does she find that she has
"Drops on her cheek"?

'Teddy O'Neil' "With drops on my cheek and a stone in my heart"

14. In which of Ruby's songs does she tell us that
"My spirits are high"?

'That Look in my Eye' 'My spirits are high,..I go around with that
That look in my eye.

15. With which of Ruby's songs is a man and his wife closely
involved?

'Congratulations' Jo Stafford made it a hit and husband Paul
Weston wrote it

16. Which of Ruby's songs is written by a lady from
Wales?
'Tammy Tell Me True' - Dorothy Squires wrote it,

17. In which of Ruby's songs does she request that you
"Leave your address"?

'Please Hold Me Tightly' "Leave your address dear you almost
forgot"

18. In which of Ruby's songs does she refer to something being
"More exquisite still"?

'Meeting of the Waters' "Twas not her soft magic of streamlet or
hill, Oh no it was something more exquisite still

19. In which of Ruby's songs does she wish to capture a heart?

'I'm in Love With the Boy...."Then I'll know that I've captured the
heart of the boy next door"

20. In which of Ruby' songs does she use the expression
"Gee Whiz"?

'Ain'yt That a Grand & Glorious Feeling; "If you're in love GEE WIZZ'

THE WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED BY SEPERATE POSTING

PLEASE submit your answers in one go - not peace meal as it will complicate marking the scores = Thank You.

I thought that it would be fun if we had a system of escalating points scoring for winning answers, as it was back in school days, so this is what I suggest. -

Those scoring only 10 out of 20.

They should be invited to stand out front and face the blackboard, wearing a pointed hat, and stay in after and fill up the ink wells.

Those scoring 11 to 14 out of 20.

They should be congratulated but take on the milk monitor's tasks and asked to brush uo on their homework.

Those scoring 15 to 17 out of 20.

They will perhaps be feeling a little cocky and closely watching to see if a better score is posted.

Those scoring 18 or 19 will probably feel that they have 'cracked it' and are ready to claim victory.

Those scoring top points - 20 out of 20

They are fully entitled to boast and can claim 1st prize - which is a multi prize that includes the following:

A sherbet dab, some marzipan teacakes, a stick of liquorice, a few aniseed balls and a gobstopper that changes colour as it reduces in size, a hardened 'conker', a whip and top and a hoop and stick.

Anyone claiming that they have scored 21 points - they are cheating and will invited to stand outside the headmaster's office.

Good Luck 'Friends'

Adios Amigos. Bernie[/u]
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Earlier today, Ruby's birthday, I had an email from a lady who remembers seeing Ruby and I in an expresso bar in Wolverhampton. The Jones Boys were in pantomime with Arthur Haynes and Freddie Frinton. The lady is kindly sending me a photo of us, together with some relatives of John Padley (my Best Man) That was 50yrs ago, isn't that incredible to hear from someone out of the blue after all that time?

Adios Amigos, Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

For anyone who is interested in seeing what the commemorative plaque looks like, there are plenty of photographs that have been uploaded onto the website. The photos include the actual unveiling, as carried out by the Lord Mayor of Belfast,(Which was videod), the plaque itself, shots of the group of friends/fans who flew to Belfast to be present at the actual historic ceremony and who captured themselves on the webcam situated on the facia of the City Hall, holding Ruby's name aloft to be seen direct on the internet, and many others. There is also a video of my speech at the ceremony and another of our two children, Tim and Julie, singing a medley of Ruby's hit songs

Seeing as this was such an historic occasion the interest has been massive and is very encouraging to everyone who showed such immense dedication to, not only this project but many others.

My heartfelt thanks to you all.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

I have managed to be the 33,333rd person to view this posting

Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

My Recent Visit to Belfast

I have just returned from a visit to Belfast, to attend an Ulster Conference with my wife. While there I took a walk to the Ulster Hall to check that the plaque was still in good order.

Well, the refurbishment of the Hall which had started before the plaque was unveiled is still in progress, and the hall is currently closed. The front is protected by a high screen, and at first it was not possible to see the plaque at all. However, by crossing to the other side of the road and standing on some steps, it was just possible to see that the plaque is in fact still in position. Only the word "Ruby" could be seen, but it was definitely 'our' plaque. The workmen are not currently working on the front of the building, so there is no danger of the plaque being spoiled.

I did notice that a second plaque has been mounted on another pillar, and on that only the word "Rory" could be seen. I can't immediately think who that might be - any ideas?

On Sunday, the members of the conference were taken by coach to Hillsborough to see the castle where the Royal Family stays when they visit, and also where the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland does his work. The journey took us along the Donegall Road, and sure enough we passed the end of Benburb Street where Ruby once lived. Someone on the other side of the coach spotted a wall mural which contains a photomontage of Ruby, a mosaic made up from the faces of children from that area. I have now placed in the Library, under Miscellaneous Images, a copy of this for you to have a look at. You can use the zoom button on your browser to see the different features.

Our guide for the day was a charming Ulster young lady, and I asked her if she knew about Ruby Murray. She had some basic knowledge, but said she would look on the internet to see if she could find any more information. I proudly pointed out that I was the current keeper of the Official website, and that if she just typed Ruby's name into Google, our website would be the first one she would come across. She promised to have a look, and maybe she will include some information about Ruby during her guided tours.
Gerald