The Four Jones Boys

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

The Four Jones Boys

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Bernie ,

Hope all is going well for you......I'm just going through some of the C.Ds relating to the fifties and I have just got to the "Magic Of Billie Anthony".

Upon reading the sleeve notes I find the following......"On November 5th 1956(and in her own right)she made her true West End debut and completed a triumphant season at The Prince Of Wales Theatre with The Four Jones Boys,Hylda Baker and Derek Roy.

Does this bring back memories for you.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

The Four Jones Boys

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

Yes, wonderful memories. It was about 5/6months prior to meeting Ruby in the rehearsal studio the following April/May to rehearse for the 1957 Blackpool summer season at the North Pier Pavilion.

I can give you some more names who were that on that bill at The Prince Of Wales. - The Top Of the Bill was Hylda Baker. (It was supposed to have been Mel Torme but he was taken ill and Hylda had to step in at the last moment to top the bill). Supporting acts, apart from ourselves - Morecambre & Wise, Derek Roy,Charlie Cairoli & Paul, Peggy Ryan(she was Donald O'Connor's dancing partner in many films) & Ray MacDonald, Jo Jac & Joni. Joe Church. Billie Anthony (accompanied by Colin Keyes, that is where we first saw Colin)- how am I doing so far?

It turned out to be a very eventful two week engagement. We were asked to 'double' the second week.-The Malcolm Mitchell Trio were appearing at the Finsbury Park Empire theatre and Malcolm was taken ill and we took his place. This is what we had to do. - It meant that we started in the West-end. doing the first house at The Prince of Wales, Paul Burnett our Musical Director, hurriedly gathered up our band parts and we were taxied across London to Finsbury Park and did the first house there. Paul had to distribute our music whilst the act preceding us was performing. We repeated the precedure and returned again to The Prince of Wales for the second house. Back we went for the second house at Finsbury Park. Topping the bill at the Finsbury Park Empire theatre was Gerry Colona (he of 'Ebb Tide' fame).

In total we completed 24 performances that week. At the end of the week, one of our partners, Ron Robson, collapsed on the side of the stage and he also was taken into hospital. The story goes on from there. Somewhere amongst my memorabilia I have a press cutting dealing with that story. The following Spring was even more eventful, Ruby and I met and our lives changed forever. Has anyone got a spare magic wand???

No-one really knows what goes on behind the scenes.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Graham Bunn

The Four Jones Boys

Post by Graham Bunn »

Bernie,
All I can say is what a great story,the names are like a whose who in show business.

I think once your book on Ruby is published you must start on another giving an account of your life in show business as a performer and Manager to the stars.

Best Wishes
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Having just had the honour of spending a couple of days with Bernie, I fully support this request! Bernie, you are a goldmine of showbusiness information and anecdotes.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

The Four Jones Boys

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I think it took about two years to write my book on Ruby's life and career, at my time of life - 27 -(anything else is a communist lie), I don't think I can spare another two years writing a second book.
Mind you, I have been severely tempted after reading your kind words. One of the problems would be that, because of the period that I would be writing about, I could only bank on a small section of the public, dare I say it, senior citizens (sorry fellas), reading it. Let's face it ,who is going to remember Old Mother Riley and her daughter Kitty???

Flatter me again lads and I'll do it.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

The Four Jones Boys

Post by Graham Bunn »

As a 28 year old Bernie(Ha Ha) I can so well remember the Old Mother Riley films,I just loved them,in fact they have all just been release upon D.V.D so there must be a market for them as there would be for your book.

I remeber so well seeing Arthur Lucan(old Mother Riley) in pantomime with the "Old Woman Who Lived in A Shoe,happy memories

Must close now I have got to go and feed the dinosor

Best Wishes
Graham

Mytc

Post by Mytc »

BERNIE how could you, are you forgetting the ZIO ANGELS and ME !! :lol:
'Que Sera Sera'

Tomorrow is another day.

Bernie Burgess

The Zio Angels

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I really must explain about the posting from 'mytc'. I don't think that she has ever revealed her identity on the website, but I will.

The initials 'mytc' would not mean anything to the friends on the Forum, only to me. However, behind those initials is a wonderful lady that I have known for ..ahem .... years. She was an excellent dancer and a member of a very famous line-up of dancers known as Florence Whiteley's ZIO ANGELS. We, The Jones Boys, travelled with that troupe of dancers on many tours and Variety bills. They had several routines that became very famous i.e. a military routine carried out on a staircase which was quite spectacular but the most famous of all was a routine that was called THE PHANTOM GUARD.

I won't go into a long story about that routine, except to say that it was supposedly a dream of a retired army officer. Oh! I will tell you the story. When I related it to Ruby she sat in wonderment listening to the Colonel's Dream.

The stage curtains opened in complete and utter darkness and the 16 girls were in a line at the back of the stage, dressed in white satin military style costumes, but in the complete darkness they appeared as a very dim vision, as though it was a dream. The audience could just make out a thin white line in a blackout. They carried white rifles and gradually emerged through the darkness, doing a 'slow march' and the stage lighting gradually flooded the entire stage with a very dark blue. I know that because I lit the routine when it came to the theatre in Northampton .The 'soldiers' proceded to perform an immaculate military routine with the utmost precision. Wearing very tall military style headresses with white feather plumes and full length white satin capes, from their shoulder epaulettes to the floor they looked very spectacular. Without completing their routine for applause, they reversed the situation and gradually retreated upstage and out of sight. A black curtain was drawn across them at the back of the stage to complete the 'dream' and their disappearance. The curtains re-opened in red lighting for their applause, which was rapturous.

The routine was heralded as one of the most famous and spectacular routines of all time, and the mysterious lady, who posted the above message, was a participant in that brilliant routine. Her name is Ross and I am priviledged to have known her since nineteen hundred and frozen to death. Ross was a member of a very select group of wives and girlfriends of the Jones Boys and of course Ruby was a member of the group too. We were all a happy group of performers.

I hope that Ross will stay around on the website, right now she could do with some friendly chat. Welcome Ross, it's good to have you around.

Adios Senora. Bernie.

Mytc

Post by Mytc »

Awwwwwww thanks Bernie, if i was younger i could live off that write-up ! :roll:
'Que Sera Sera'

Tomorrow is another day.