PLaque Information Change;

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

PLaque Information Change;

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have once again been in contact with Belfast City Council. I was initially given information that the plaque would be installed in the foyer of The Ulster Hall, apparently that is not so. I have now been told that it will be on the exterior of the building. Perhaps more people will see the plaque if it's outside? I just hope that it doesn't rain.

I have been promised that I will be informed of any other further data in connection with with the event. When I get more data I will post it immediately.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

David

Plaque Information Change

Post by David »

I would think that having the plaque outside is a positive move. Definitely more people walk past city hall (I take it that Belfast Hall is the city hall - but maybe I'm wrong) than go inside, so more people will see it.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

In fact, the Ulster Hall is a different one from City Hall, and is in a street to the back of City Hall. If you would like to see a couple of photographs taken outside and inside the Ulster Hall, you will find them in the library under Stories, contained within my document of a visit to Belfast.
Gerald

David

Plaque Information Change

Post by David »

Gerald,

Thank you for the information. I really wasn't sure if Ulster Hall was the City Hall.

David

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

To clarify the situation, The Ulster Hall is a concert/entertainment/cum multi purpose venue. It has been in existance for many years and has recently undergone a million pound refurbishment scheme.

The connection with Ruby is the fact that she frequently appeared there as a child performer. In fact, I have an original programme of a concert held there which featured Ruby as the star attraction, dated Tuesday May 3rd. l949. She had just celebrated her 14th birthday at the end of March. She was about to cross the Irish Sea to appear in a summer season show in Glasgow, hence it was called a 'farewell' concert.

David, I will try to send you a copy of the programme as an attachment, if I can come to terms with the technicalities.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

I would just like to bring to your attention to a program called Google Earth, which you can download for FREE from the internet. This is a very handy program, I have just read Gerald story about is visit to Belfast, and Ruby home. You can zoom in right down to the houses and have a look at the street. Also find out where the Ulster Hall is and zoom onto the building, a good way if you are going to find your way around.

I would also just like to make a point to Gerald, and the other members, when a story or picture or for that matter anything that is posted in the Libraries, just to post a short a message on the notice board to let us know. I use the general page has my home page, so that I can see right away if any new messages are posted, so I would have missed Gerald very good story of his visit to Belfast if he had not mentioned it on his last post.
Regards
John.

Gerald Lawrence

Er, John, I did post a message! It was on the 18th January, and perhaps because nobody has replied to it, it has now drifted down the Index page. You perhaps were away when I did it.

Glad you like the story and the pictures.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Sorry Gerald, just found it, don’t know how I missed it, my apologies
Regards
John.

spudmurph

Plaque

Post by spudmurph »

Just to let you know, following on from Bernie's message about the siting of the Ulster Hall, the street on which the building resides is called Bedford Street and is one of the main, and busiest, thoroughfares in the city centre. The Ulster Hall is very well known throughout the Province.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi,
This is not an email about Ruby plaque but a question relating to last person who left a message.

Ronnie Hilton another wonderful singer of the fifties had a radio programme called "The Sounds Of The Fifties" and he would often play Rubys recordings.

They also toured in the Fabulous Fifties shows together so I guess they had a great friendship ......On the radio Ronnie would always refer to Ruby as his little Spud Murphy which I thought was his nickname for her,but I see that you are using this term to sign in with,what does it mean(the only thing I can think of is a potatoe) is that right?

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

I have been waiting to see whether 'spud murphy' would reply to your querie.
However, - yes 'murphies' are potatoes. Ronnie Hilton referred to Ruby as his little 'spud murphy' because of the closeness of the two names -
Murphy and Murray, plus the fact that there was an obvious Irish connection.

Ronnie and Ruby were both at E.M.I. Ronnie was with Walter Ridley on the H.M.V. label and Ruby was with Ray Martin, at first, then Norrie Paramor on the Columbia label. Ruby also did recordings with Bob Barratt. Her A&R man at Philips/Fontana was (I think I am right) Terry Brown. At President she was with Cyril Black who was one of three brothers - Cyril Black, Michael Black and Don Black. Don was a very prolific songwriter and amongst many outstanding successes was 'Born Free'' In the mid 80s Ruby was given an award from BASCA and it was presented to her by Don Black.

The 50s Roadshow featured Ronnie, Ruby, Joan Regan, sometimes Clinton Ford and other times Ken Goodwin. An interesting point about Ronnie, - he had a pianist who played for him for many years called Will Fyfe Jnr. It was obvious who his father was. Ruby's pianists included Colin Keyes (I have discovered that he is now on tour with Matt Monro's son in a Tribute to Matt Monro) Geoff Sanders (he went on to play for Roy Castle for many years).

This is begining to sound like 'All Our Yesterdays'. I'd better go now before I start to write about Frank Randle and his show 'Randles Scandles'

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

spudmurph

Plaque

Post by spudmurph »

Hello Graham

I have just logged in and noticed your query. There is nothing mysterious about spudmurph. I use that because my surname is Murphy and I was nicknamed Murph at school. Murphys are also nicknamed spuds (potatoes) hence the name. My name is Kathleen and I have been registered with the fanclub for a while but do not often post messages. My mother is Marie Cunningham, Ruby's best friend. Bernie knows me but would not have known the signin name. I enjoy reading all the anecdotes and kind words written about Ruby because she was a fantastic person. We grew up knowing her as Aunty Ruby and there was alway great fun and excitement when she was coming over to Belfast as she always stayed at our house. I personally loved to see what dresses she brought with her!

Have a good day.

spudmurph (Kathleen)

Gerald Lawrence

Hello Kathleen, it is very good that you have decided to join us here. From the various TV tributes that your mum, Marie, has appeared in, it is very clear that there was a close bond between her and Ruby. I know she has not been too well of late, but I do hope you will both be able to join us for the plaque unveiling in Belfast. Those of us who can make it over will for sure be looking forward to meeting up with you.
Gerald

spudmurph

plaque

Post by spudmurph »

Hello Gerald

Thank you for your kind words about my mother. She is fine but has had a couple of strokes over the last few years since Ruby died and it has left her that she forgets things easily. Apart from that she is good. She is certainly hoping to be at the unveiling of the plaque. Ruby and Mum were very close - like sisters in fact - and she misses her terribly.

Anyway, thanks again for your kind words.

Kathleen