'Little one'

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Mark

'Little one'

Post by Mark »

In 1970 I was 10 years old and for Christmas I received a portable record player. Of all the records I could play on it - the 78rpm variety fascinated me the most.
Several relatives and friends of the family indulged my new hobby by giving me records to play. At the time, many of the latest record decks didn't include 78 speed - so I guess I dropped in lucky- as these heavy space consuming records were out of favour generally.
One notable stack given to me contained records of two singers that really appealed to this schoolboy. The singers were Alma Cogan and Ruby Murray.
The Ruby titles were 'Real love', 'Heartbeat', 'Evermore' and .... ' Softly Softly' (of course!) ... Was there ever a pile of 78s from the 50s that didn't contain this record ?!
My favourites were actually flipsides - ' Bambino' and ' Little one'. When I first played 'Little one' my dad explained that he hadn't heard the song for years - that we once had this on 78 ( long since broken) and when I came along in 1960, he would play the record and sing the song to me.
So I guess I had a very early introduction to Ruby !!
Post 1970 more and more records were collected - and I was really taken with 'Heart ', ' O' Malleys Tango' and 'Boy meets girl' when I found those particular discs.
Later, I was even more thrilled to find the original 78 of 'Get well soon'.
Then I discovered Ruby's excellent President recordings.
In 1982 Ruby was appearing in a show touring the country with Adelaide Hall and a host of other names from the 50s. I went along to see the show with a fellow fan and afterwards met Ruby for the first time. She was really touched that two young guys had come along to see her and knew all about her and her recordings. A few days later an interview with Ruby appeared in the local paper and made reference that 'her appeal was reaching a new generation'.
In the interview she commented -
'Two young people came to see me after the show on Monday night and brought me flowers. They were only about 20, but they said that they have every record I have made. Isn't that marvellous ?!' ... Her Irish eyes were smiling as she spoke.
Ruby also mentions son Tim ( who at the time was studying at the nearby Isle of Ely College, Wisbech) and said ' He sings and plays guitar rather well, wouldn't it be nice if he and Julie got together as a double act'.
That was the first of many times meeting Ruby after a show throughout the 1980 and early 90s. She was always so welcoming and interested in the memorabilia I took along to get signed. Ruby often seemed quite overwhelmed by the attention ! Accepting well deserved compliments graciously, in her warm Irish brogue ' Thank you, darlin'.
The last time I saw her, if I remember correctly was in 1993. She had lost a considerable amount of weight - but it suited her and her facial features were much more defined. She was wearing a black sort of gypsy style dress - off the shoulder. She looked really great.
How little I knew at the time that she wouldn't be with us much longer.

Mark

David

'Little one'

Post by David »

Mark - What a great story! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Mark,

It seems that like all of us that were fortunate to meet Ruby you also fell under the Irish spell of this lovely person.

It was wonderful to read your story and this is just what the "Message Board" needs there must be lots of people who look in on the Ruby website but don't contribute with any information and yet some may have interesting stories like yours.

Thanks for sharing your memories and I hope that we hear from you again.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

'Little One'

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Mark,

I am delighted that you placed that story on the website, it truly is a wonderful tale.

'Little One' was very special to Ruby, myself and the two children. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a Russ Hamilton song, I shall be quickly corrected if I'm wrong. I have sung Julie to sleep on many occasions singing that song to her. I have previously related the story of Ruby's favourite teddy bear, in fact it was the subject of a Teaser some time ago. Ruby called the teddy PETCHUNO because in the lyric she sings 'You are Mummie's PET YOU KNOW and it was passed on to the teddy bear. That little bear travelled everywhere with Ruby and he sat on her dressing table in her dressing room wherever she played.

As Graham remarked, it would be wonderful if other stories, similar to yours, were placed on the website, it makes such interesting reading. Coming, as it does, from a different generation, it gives us all a totally new look at Ruby's career. I remember saying a simliar thing to another younger member - Martin, his story was very interesting too. As a matter of fact, I was able to include his little story in my book. I only wish I had seen your story earlier so that I could have included it also in the book.

I trust that your memorabilia venue- Burtey Fenn- is going from strength to srength, I really must visit the venue when I next come to England.

Once again, thanks for a great story.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Mark

'Little one'

Post by Mark »

Thank you so much for the warm welcome on site and the private messages too.
As Graham said - many people look in to catch up on the latest Ruby news and must be encouraged to post their memories. I too, have looked in - always meaning to add a post :oops:
Bernie will know the answer to this question ! Was Ruby's eyesight that poor ?
On one occasion, seeing Ruby at Skegness, I rushed backstage straight after her appearance ( I think she was on the bill with Clinton Ford that night) to find Ruby stranded at the top of the stairs that came down from the stage area to the dressing rooms. ' I can't see, I can't see' she said, quite in a panic - 'Can you help me? '. I guided Ruby down the stairs to the safety of ground level and received one of those immense hugs, many of you will have experienced.
Those hugs were sincere and I always got the impression Ruby really needed that warm hug back.
Several times over the years, Ruby sent notes and Christmas cards. Long before her main output was available on CD I taped a selection of songs she wanted to hear again. She would have been thrilled with the latest EMI box set.
Ruby has a section of wall space devoted to her here at the collection, which includes song seets signed for me over the years - and the splendid colour 'TV Mirror' cover from the 50s.
A recent framed addition to the collection is a large theatre poster featuring another favourite of mine - Lita Roza - on a star bill alongside Marion Ryan with Ray Ellington, Cardew Robinson, Spike Milligan ... and the Jones Boys !
... this particular theatre poster was for a week of shows at the Gaumont, Doncaster - twice nightly ! How did they do it ?!

Mark

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Mark,

Yes, unfortunately Ruby did have problems with her eyes, especially in the later years. She had developed a cataract which inpaired her already suspect eyesight. Add to this the fact that she was always very nervous about stairs, especially if the lighting was dim. In my collection of photographs there is a photo of her in the Nursing home, trying to do some painting and she had to use a very large magnifying glass. Tim and I tried to take her mind off of her situation by taking her paints into the home for her. She enjoyed her painting so much and at one time she was very good at it.

About the bill at the Gaumont in Doncaster. It must have been around 1956, the year before I met Ruby. We did a series of cinema dates, mostly promoted by The Collins Agency which was headed by Joan Collin's father, whose christian name escapes me for the moment. Some were topped by Dave King, some by Dorothy Squires whilst others had multi top of the bill names. The one at Doncaster was split between Lita, Ray Ellington (with Marion Ryan) Spike Milligan was supporting on those particular bills as we The Jones Boy were.

The other three members of the act all lived in Doncaster so we had quite a large following and we were 'hard to follow' as the showbusiness expression is. Another photo in my collection is one taken back stage at the Doncaster Gaumont and in the photo Spike is playing a trumpet whilst we were all holding our ears. Whenever I show that photo no-one ever recognizes Spike Milligan, the trumpet player.

I remember that week so well. Next door to the Gaumont there was a small cafe with an enormous juke box. I heard, for the very first time, The MacGuire Sisters record of 'Do You Remember?' It was a great recording and in later years I encouraged Ruby to do a song and dance routine with me to that number. We inlcluded the routine in the middle of Ruby's act for a while and went on to do the same routine on 'Sunday Night at The Prince of Wales'. I have about a 10 second movie film clip of that appearance. Pity it is so short because if you blink, you miss it. Recently, I discovered a McGuire Sisters C.D. for sale on ebay, it features 'Do You Remember' I am having problems registering to buy it because I live in Spain and the details have to be filled in in Spanish and as yet I haven't suficiently mastered the language to be able to fill the details in. I will succeed eventually as the recording is great and it brings back many happy memories of the routine with Ruby.

One reason they managed to 'pack the bill' was because they invariably booked venues with huge auditoriums therefore huge audience numbers that obvious swelled the box office takings.

One day I must relate the fascinating story of Dave King who was represented by Joe (I remembered his name) Collins. It's an extraodinary
story which will keep for another time.

More annon. Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I just want to express my thanks to Mark and Bernie for making this thread a "must see" each time I log on. Fascinating stuff!
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Suibject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald.

Thank you for your posting containing such kind words. I could have gone on and on with the last story but to be very honest, at my age (27) I tend to get quite emotional and have to call a halt.

All that I will add to it is that towards the end of Ruby's life we had many of the 'hugs' that Mark said he felt she needed to have. It's far too delicate for me to expand further on that.

Adios Amigo. Bernie

spudmurph

'Little One'

Post by spudmurph »

I feel that I must add a reply to these lovely e-mails because they have actually brought tears to my eyes. Ruby was a lovely, warm, friendly person. We were lucky enough to grow up just knowing her as Aunty Ruby. When she visited Belfast she usually stayed with us and it has to be said that we never really realised how big a star she was because Ruby was not the type of person to act like a "star". Anyway, Mark's story was typical of the type of person Ruby was and reading it brought back memories to me of the numbers of times that I witnessed her "meeting and greeting" fans, always with the same warmth and kindness. I also remember the hugs.

Kathleen

Bernie Burgess

Post subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Kathleen,

You should try to encourage your Mum, Marie, to relate a few stories that you can place on the message board for her. Marie travelled all over the world with Ruby and I do know that she has a wealth of stories to tell. The members would be fascinated with any of those interesting stories.

Looking forward to seeing you in Belfast. I assume that you will be coming with Marie to the unveiling?

Adios Senora. Bernie