"My Precious Gem" book reviews

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
rbl.ca

"My Precious Gem" book reviews

Post by rbl.ca »

Hello to you all.

I was thinking of posting a review of Bernie's book, but will wait until some members closer to Ruby & Bernie have done so.

Come now, let's hear what you have to say about this totally enthralling story.

I'll say just this - I couldn't put the book down, and as I finished it, I had "drops on my cheek, and a stone at me heart". :cry:

Best regards.
Ralph

rbl.ca

THE BOOK

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi.
Since nobody has offered any comments on THE BOOK, I thought I'd post an email I sent to Bernie soon after finishing it.
.........................................................................................................................................................

Hello, Bernie.

I finished reading your book about 20 hours ago, but only now am I able to 'talk' about it. Don't concern yourself with any old wounds I may have with regard to my mother's alcoholism. My pain is for Ruby, and for you too. I've been a bit depressed since the end, "with drops on my cheek, and a stone at me heart".

"IF ONLY" ...... you summarized all of the unfortunate circumstances & influences.

It is obvious that Joan Moules' book contains very little fact in relation to the later years. Of course, she had no way of knowing the truth (without interviewing you).

On a lighter side - I was surprised at your phonetic spelling of "Moltick" for Moltke Street. Joan Moules made that mistake, but she mightn't have known better. She also misspelled Benburb as "Benbow".

I was just a little disappointed that, in Chapter 3, Jim McGarry's name wasn't mentioned. Wouldn't it have been terrific if Marie or somone had written detailed memoirs of the early years (1945-54)?

I could go on for pages, spewing disgust at those who mismanaged, used, bullied, and preyed upon Ruby and you, and your children. How could a gem like Ruby have come from such common stone?

Anyway, Bernie, your book is terrific, a really gripping story.
All the best to you, Bernie, and to Tim & Julie.
Ralph
....................................................................................................................................................

Bernie explained that he had finished and submitted Chapter 3 before I got on the Forum with my enquiries and story about Jimmy.

He also explained that the editing and proof-reading was supposed to have been done by the man who runs Derwent Publishing.

I hope book sales are booming.
Ralph
Last edited by rbl.ca on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Ralph,

If you had looked under the heading"Details On How To Obtain The Book"
you would have noted that Bernie had indicated that he wanted no mention of the book on the forum.

However I did put a short message as did Martin on our thoughts relating to the book without giving much away relating to the story line.

I also emailed Bernie to tell him privately what I thought of the book.

I note that you have given your email information to all on the website and although I understand that it was a very favourable message I thought the comments about the grammar and punctuation were quite unnecessary.

Best Wishes
Graham