Favourite versions

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Mark

Favourite versions

Post by Mark »

I hope this topic hasn't been covered before ... but as you will all know, many songs were covered by various different artistes in the 50s. Many singers would find themselves competing in the charts with their contempories who had put out the same song on disc.
Although this is a Ruby Murray forum - I'm sure may of us have favourite versions of a song associated with Ruby - but also recorded by someone else.
Here are a few of my preferences and I would be interested to hear other fans likes/dislikes.
HEARTBEAT was also recorded by Lita Roza. I like both - but Ruby's has the edge ! It was years before I heard Lita's version, and sometimes the 'first heard' just stays with you as the definitive !!
SOFTLY SOFTLY. I'm a huge fan of Alma Cogan - she recorded it as the flip to ' Paper Kisses' - but again I prefer Ruby's version. If I'm feeling a bit more upbeat I spin the '64 issue.
HAPPY DAYS AND LONELY NIGHTS. There were versions on the market from others including Frankie Vaughan and Suzi Miller. Again, Ruby is tops. But I do like Connie Francis' later version too.
LET ME GO LOVER. Besides Ruby, so many versions to choose - Lita, Peggy, Patti, Teresa, Rose Brennan , Joan Weber and a revamp by Kathy Kirby in '64. I just can't decide on this one !
LITTLE ONE. Russ Hamilton or Ruby ? I think this tender song is more suited to a female vocal anyway - so Ruby's version every time.
EVERMORE. Ruby or Edna Savage ? Someone else on this site commented on the likeness between their singing voice's. I agree. But Ruby again does it for me.
HEART also recorded by Max Bygraves, Tony Bennet, Dennis Lotis to name a few. Ruby's version with proceeds to charity was super - but I think I prefer Ronnie Hilton this time.
IF ANYONE FINDS THIS I LOVE YOU. Just too soppy for me - whoever sings it ! Also recorded by the Bevs, Kay Starr and Jimmy Young.
JIMMY UNKNOWN ... Besides versions available by Doris Day and Kathie Kay - Lita made the song her own. But what a pleasant surprise to hear Ruby's sensitive version on the EMI set.
MR WONDERFUL - Ruby, the Bevs, Yana, Peggy, Marion Ryan ... but Ruby and Marion joint tie for me ! Didn't they get these versions mixed up on the Radio 2 'Diva's of their day' tribute ?

There are more titles obviously ... but thought the ones mentioned above could kick us off !

Mark

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Mark, nice to see you back on the site. I also like to hear other version of Ruby’s songs, one in particular is “It Only Hurts For A Little While”, which was a hit for Al Martino, I have that one and play it quite a lot, also Russ Hamilton also recorded "Till We Meet Again". Ruby’s Evermore is my all time favourite, I would love to hear Edna Savages version, I have not heard that for years, I have searched the internet for it but cannot find it. I also don’t have the upbeat version of Softly that is on the home page on the five CD I have chosen, I quite like that, I had it when it first came out, but somehow it disappeared, and have never got round to buying it again. I’m glad the majority of songs you have mentioned you like Ruby’s versions, she had a very special voice, one you will never hear again, and each song she give her all too.
If anyone would like Little One Or Till we meet again sung by Russ Hamilton let me know.
Regards
John.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Mark,
It was so nice to see all those singers names and to remember the pleasure that they have given us over many years.

I can add just a few more to your list.

Scarlett Ribbons was a big hit for Harry Belafonte but I like Rubys version of this song.

Dear Daddy was written specially for Petula Clark as a tribute to her father but Ruby has also put her magic touch on this song.

Congratulations was a song I had never heard before and I thought Ruby was the only artist to record it but I now have a recording of this song by Gary Miller.

Pianissimo,I remember so well this song being released and I was willing it into the hit parade but Ken Dodd also had a version out and he had the hit,the strange thing about this is I think that he and Ruby were recording for the same record label at the time.

Silent Night,so many artists have recorded this song but to me Rubys version has something special about it and every Christmas time I think perhaps someone will play this record on the radio and it will take off in a big way and become the hit it really deserves to be.

I hope other members will add their favourite cover versions to this list as it is interesting to see the names of the artists from a time past.

Best Wishes
Graham

Mark

Other versions

Post by Mark »

In a strange sort of way I like Gracie Fields 'Scarlet Ribbons' ... but not as much as Ruby's version !

Didn't know about Gary Miller's 'Congratulations', Graham ! ( not to be confused with Cliff's Eurovision hit !)

More of the same everyone !!

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

On reading this thread, the first two songs which came into my mind were:

PASSING STRANGERS - I was a huge fan of the Billy Eckstine/Sarah Vaughan version of this song, and only discovered Ruby's version a few years ago. I am always touched when I listen to her version by the way she sings in a wistful, sentimental way what is really a sad song. And when she sings the words "The hands I used to touch don't even wave hello" it never fails to bring a tear to my eye. So for me Ruby's is best.

TRUE LOVE - from the moment I first saw it, I loved the film High Society, and for many years it remained one of my favourite musicals (Kiss Me, Kate being another). Here Ruby is up against the master crooner in Bing Crosby, and of course he has the advantage of the delightful Grace Kelly to harmonise with. Although I like Ruby's version very much, and she sings beautifully as always, I don't think it is a particularly good musical arrangement. The orchestra is very plain sounding, apart from a lovely bit in the middle when the flutes play a nice descending note phrase, and I don't think the backing group sound very interested in what they were doing. So the original wins here.
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

We also must not forget “Danny Boy”, everyone recorded that, my favourite was Jim Reeves. Another nice song was “The banks Of the folye”, I have a nice version of that with a singer called Declan Nerney . “You are my first love” Edna Savage
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hellp Friends'
I have followed this thread since it was first posted back in July (9th) by Mark. I was facinated by the amount of musical knowledge that was shown by everyone participating.

I have been extremely fortunate, Graham has produced a fantastic C.D. with 21 cover versions of songs that Ruby recorded. He has done a remarkable job on it and I was thrilled when I played it. He has used 'the' photo of Ruby and given the C.D. a title - 'Songs That I Have Sung'.

With just perhaps one exception - Frank Sinatra's version of 'Pennies From Heaven' I prefer Ruby's version on all the others - but I would, wouldn't I?

My sincere thanks to Graham, I shall treasue his wonderful C.D.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I was just wondering if any of the 21 songs have not been listed yet on this thread. If not, perhaps Bernie or Graham would like to add them to the list for us to see.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I sincerely hope that I am not stealing Graham's thunder by doing this but seeing as you have asked Gerald, here is a list of the 21 songs.

1. 'Get Well Soon' - Dickie Valentine.
2. 'Two Kinds of Tears' - Joan Regan.
3. 'Softly, Softly' - Alma Cogan.
4. 'Evermore' - Edna Savage.
5. 'Let Me Go Lover' - Dean Martin.
6. 'It Only Hurts For a Little While' - Al Martino.
7. 'Heart. - Dennis Lotis
8. 'Scarlet Ribbons' - Emile Ford.
9. 'True Love' - Bing Crosby/Grace Kelly.
10. 'When I Grow Too Old To Dream' Dorothy Squires.
11. 'Mr Wonderful' - Keely Smith.
12. 'Pennies From Heaven' - Frank Sinatra (ole Blue Eyes)
13. 'How Did He Look?' - Lita Roza.
14. 'Isle of Innisfree' - Val Doonican.
15. 'Ave Maria, - Shirley Bassey'
16. 'Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head' - Des O'Connor
17. 'Danny Boy' - Judy Garland'
18. 'Smile' - Nat 'King' Cole.
19. 'When You Wore a Tulip' - Teresa Brewer.
20. 'I Will Wait For You' - Vera Lynn.
21. 'You Are My Sunshine' - Michael Holliday.

All comments of appreciation should go to Graham who has done a fantastic job.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Mark

Hello Jeannie - but Goodbye Jimmy !!

Post by Mark »

Today I found a single in a charity shop that I had to buy ( only 25p!) for no other reason than curiosity !

It's ' Hello Jeannie, Hello ' by Jack Dailey.
A male vocal of Ruby's song 'Goodbye Jimmy, Goodbye'.
A Fontana label recording from'62.

It's actually the B side - but very pleasant !

Mark

Bernie Burgess

Cover Versions

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Mark,

What a remarkable find. In a way it is very flattering to Ruby.

Good to hear from you again Mark. Stay with us, we need your imput as it's always of great interest.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Mark

Cover versions

Post by Mark »

Many thanks for your words Bernie.
This is such a friendly site !
For us guys, ( to make a change from Jimmy ...lol!) here's the words to 'Hello Jeannie' .... and the song also lends itself very well to an adaption - ' Hello Ruby Hello '.

Hello Jeannie hello, Hello Jeannie hello.
I've been far away, now I'm home to stay
Hello Jeannie, hello.

I've searched the world over, the land and the sea,
Just lookin' for someone, who is lookin' for me,
Oh why did I wander, Oh why did I roam?
When the one that searched for, was right here at home.

Hello Jeannie hello, Hello Jeannie hello.
Hello Jeannie, hello.

My Jeannie I love you, you know that I do,
but what can I do dear, to show that its true
I'll give you kiss for each tear and each sigh
and never again will I bid you goodbye

Hello jeannie, hello, Hello Jeannie hello.
Hello Jeannie, hello. ( repeat and fade)

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Mark, well done in finding this song, the lirics are very good. I have only ever heard one other version, and that was a singer from Ireland called Elaine Wood, and she sang quite a few Ruby songs.
Regards
John.