Drawing Images

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Drawing Images

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Folks
I have just been going through some of my old 45's to put upon C.D when I came across something which some of you may remember.

In 1958/1959 there was a person who used to do a weekly review of recordings but what made that review outstanding was that it was always accompanied by a small drawing of the artist.

It was not a cartoon but th head was always emphasised and placed upon a small body.
When Ruby's L.P "Endearing Young charms was reviewed a small drawing was also made with the title Endearing Ruby and it is very cute.

The initialls of the artist look like B.R.C and I wondered if these drawings were ever passed on to the artist or perhaphs if a book had been published showing them.

Does anybody else remember seeing them.?

Best Wishes.
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
I never cease to be amazed by the number of interesting topics that from time to time crop up on the website, most of which are concerning happenings from approximately 50yrs or so ago. Graham's latest posting regarding the characterizing of Ruby for her album 'Enderaring Young Charms' is quite facinating. I accompanied Ruby throughout the making of that L.P. and therefore became familiar with the publicity that surrounded it.

Ruby had a cuttings agency that collected all the press coverage and forwarded them on to her. I must admit that because we were both hectically busy, due to the fact that we were running two careers in tandem, we were guilty of not properly cataloguing the cuttings and placing them in albums. However, we must have seen whatever cuttings came through the post but I cannot remember seeing the cutting that Graham mentions.

Purely from an interest point of view, even though I am aware that I will quickly be corrected if I am wrong, at one time 'Endearing Young Charms' was rated as being the most valuable L.P. of Ruby's in The Rare Record Collector's Price Guide. I am now bracing myself in anticipation of being corrected.

I still have a vast collection of press cuttings, which I must confess are still in boxes itstead of albums, so perhaps I ought to set aside a day or so (???) to go through them and start to create some kind of order by placing them in albums (Phew!). No doubt over the years some of them have been misplaced, lost, or damaged but it will still be a very time consuming task. I feel sure that Sandy will bear me out on that one.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Sandy

Press cuttings.

Post by Sandy »

I had the advantage of cataloguing the cuttings as they came in from the various school "helpers". You will need a great lot of floor space I think Bernie, in order to sort them into years. Perhaps when you are not dancing you can "get down" to the cuttings.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Graham, I don't remember seeing these particular cartoons, and I wondered if you knew which publication they were in. Better still, maybe we could persuade you to put a copy in the Library for us to see. If you have trouble registering to do this, then please send it to me and I will do it for you.

On the subject of press cuttings, I didn't have the army of helpers which Sandy had, mainly I think because being at an all-boys school I was just a bit embarrassed to admit that I was a fan of Ruby's. However, after a few months I found I could spot with the greatest of ease the words Ruby Murray in any publication that came my way. I built up two scrapbooks, but sadly they were not to be found when I had to clear my mum's loft out after she died (which was another sad story, coming just 7 days after Ruby died). I have seen Sandy's scrapbooks and they are far and away better than mine anyway! So you have a challenge on, Bernie, to come up with something better - Good Luck!
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Bernie,

Just to let you know that you are correct about the L.P "Endearing Young Charms"

This 10inch L.P is the most valuable listed at £35.00 next comes
"Ruby"L.P Mono/Stereo listed at £22/25
The 10 inch L.P "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" listed at £22.00

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Helo Friends,

I'm so pleased that I was right about the most valuable L.P. of Ruby's. The Jones Boys records are also valuable, you can't find one to buy. I know that they sold 4 copies of each because we all bought one each. I will have to find out where the royalties went, it must be quite a sum by now, - all of 3 shillings and 4pense.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

So there's a new challenge for us - who can locate a Jones Boys record???

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Don,
There is a three C.D box set called "Hits From The 50's"

Upon C.D we find Ruby singing "Heartbeat" and the Jones Boys singing "The Day The Rains Came"(Don't know if this C.D is still available)

So Bernie and Ruby are on the same C.D(What happened to the Royalties Bernie?

Best Wishes
Graham

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

Good try Graham - but it has got to be on a single for a gold star.

Best wishes,

Don.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

A quick check on Ebay shows two Jones Boys 45 rpm records for sale:

"The Day the Rains Came"/"Hideaway" http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-JONES-BOYS-TH ... dZViewItem

and

"A Certain Smile"/"Kathy - O" http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-JONES-BOYS-A- ... dZViewItem this being priced at £9.99 which is quite a bit more than when it was new!

I am sure they will bring back good memories for Bernie.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

What a turn-up for the book. So, apart from the 4 copies that we bought between us, someone else must have bought a copy, WOW! Now I must establish where the penny/halfpenny royalty went to and seeing as I am the only surviving member of the group, I will be able to have a really big spend-up.

I will be sending out invitations to the celebratory party.

Adios Aigos. Bernie.