BBC4 TV 9pm this evening.

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Don Wearmouth

BBC4 TV 9pm this evening.

Post by Don Wearmouth »

".......Legends. New Series. Alma Cogan, the singer who had hits in the 1950's and 1960's , before dying of cancer at the age of 34."

Can we hope that a certain superstar from the 1950's may be included in this series?

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Just finished watching it and found it a very well put together programme. No nasty bits, no mud slinging, just people reflecting on a singer whom they all liked. And lots of video.

And there was a mention of Ruby! They got the date a bit wrong, saying she was a competitor singer in 1950, but the photograph they used was very nice. I think it was the one used on one of the budget CDs that appeared this year.

I too hope strongly for Ruby to be included in the series, but I am not too hopeful - I think a certain person who writes to us all here would know about it. Still we can live in hope.

Next week is Petula Clark.
Gerald

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

I also enjoyed it, Gerald. Having watched so much archive material of Alma Cogan performing, it makes one wonder how much there is of Ruby's performances stored away somewhere - if only we could see it.

"Alma was the country's most successful songstress of the 1950's" the programme said - is that right??????

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject,

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Being in Spain has it's disadvantages. If I had advance knowledge of this television programme I would have made some kind of approach to the production team to see whether I could have supplied them with data for a programme on Ruby. As it is, it suggests strongly that it's possibly a series of six and with two already accounted for there is very little chance that they have included Ruby for one of the programmes, my guess is that all of the programmes are already in the can.

I find it very odd that Ruby is inclined to get a little overlooked when this type of programme is compiled. For someone who achieved far more in the recording world than most other singers, whether in her heyday or in fact before or after, Ruby seems to be lower down the list of choices. Being voted No.2 IN THE WORLD, second only to Doris Day, must give Ruby quite a lot of points. Could it be that the research team have not done enough home work? One thing is for sure, all of us on this website know exactly where Ruby comes on the list of fame, - No 1.

If someone can find out more about the programme and perhaps who the producer or producers are I will do some research of my own, albeit perhaps too late.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

I knew I would be beaten to it by you website stalwarts but I also watched the programme tonight on Alma Cogan on BBC4. It was a very interesting and informative programme on a great singer. I am so glad I caught it and purely by chance! It was great that such a nice photo of Ruby was included and also the lovely Joan Regan. I also enjoyed seeing footage of such great names from showbiz such as Anne Shelton and the Beverley Sisters. However, did anybody notice the error it made by saying that Ruby also recorded "To be worthy of you"?

I was amazed by the amount of archive film footage of Alma that was available. It is such a shame that we do not have the same for Ruby. Could there be a chance that some forgotten gems might surface, particularly if Ruby is featured in a later programme? Fingers crossed!

On a sad note, whilst watching the programme I couldn't help but think about Alma's cruel treatment of Ruby as mentioned in Bernie's book. May they both rest in peace.

:(

Don Wearmouth

Post by Don Wearmouth »

For those who missed the programme there is a repeat:-

Legends: Alma Cogan - Fabulous
1/7. The story of Alma Cogan, the tailor's daughter who became a best-selling 1950s star and a pioneer of TV light entertainment. With Bruce Forsyth, Maureen Lipman and Andrew Loog Oldham. [S]

BBC Four, Mon 13 Nov, 03:00-04:00 60mins Stereo Widescreen

Jk

Legends

Post by Jk »

Just to let you all know, I have been in contact with CH 4 and they have replied with the email below.

Dear John,

Thank you for your email. We're sorry to disappoint you, but the current
series of Legends isn't going to feature Ruby Murray. We hope, however,
that you enjoy the rest of the series.

Best wishes,

BBC Four Web Team
www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John, Hello Friends,

How disappointing that Ruby is not going to be included in series 'Legends'.
I logged on to their website and sent the following message to them.

What a pity that the series 'Legends' is not going to include Ruby Murray, my ex wife. Ruby became a world record holder when she had 5 hit singles in the Top 20 at the same time, an achievement that no other recording artiste ever atained. Her story is outstanding and the viewers and the programme makers are missing out. My book 'Ruby...My Precious Gem' tells the real story of a true LEGEND. Bernie Burgess.

Yesterday I had a call from the man who contacted me about 5 years or so ago, he is part of a production company who wanted to make a T.V. documentary, or even a musical, about Ruby. At the time he couldn't get enough interest from the television companies, perhaps we made the approach at the wrong time. If we had approached them during the last exciting year, the 50th anniversary of the achievement, we might have had a better reception???

WE must hope that a television company will realize that Ruby was unique and that her story is more than worthy of telling. Naturally I am biazed, but I feel quite strongly that Ruby's story tells a much bigger story than some of the artistes that have been included, with every respect to them.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

As so frequently happens with big companies, if something is difficult or uncomfortable to answer, send an auotmated reply, which is exactly what I have received in reply to my email. It refers to me asking a question and passes me on, but I didn't ask a question, I stated facts. Surely Ch. 4 cannot consider that Ruby's story is outdated because the programme is about Legends of the past and the artistes that so far have been included were around years before Ruby shot to fame. Of course I will own up to being biased but understandably so.

Maurice Sellers, from Big Ben Entertainments, the production company that I referred to in my previous email, is making enquiries and is coming back to me.

It's comforting to look back on a wonderful year, we all have done Ruby proud.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Post Subject

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Bernie Burgess wrote:
Yesterday I had a call from the man who contacted me about 5 years or so ago, he is part of a production company who wanted to make a T.V. documentary, or even a musical, about Ruby. At the time he couldn't get enough interest from the television companies, perhaps we made the approach at the wrong time. If we had approached them during the last exciting year, the 50th anniversary of the achievement, we might have had a better reception???

Bernie.
You may remember, Bernie, that in the year before the Golden Year, I contacted all known TV companies by letter to try to get them to do an Anniversary Programme. None were interested, saying that in their opinion the viewing figures would not justify it. However, they all said that I should contact an independent programme producer, and then they might consider it. I didn't think it was worth the financial risk to myself to do this.
Gerald

Mark

Documentaries

Post by Mark »

A documentary about Ruby's life is long overdue. I can understand TV companies ( run by young executives in short pants ?) not wanting to risk a programme on a name that they, themselves, may not remember.
'The South Bank Show' for instance would prefer to profile George Michael or Robbie Williams for instance - and nostalgia wise, with a 'safe' name such as Dusty Springfield.
Alma Cogan is a favourite of mine too - the recent documentary on BBC 4 was the third such profile that the BBC have aired in the past 15 years. It's great that Alma is remembered this way - but there were other, equally talented, chart topping females around too - which on this site, I needn't have to expand on !
The Vocalion CD ' Five Fabulous Females' was such a great idea. So maybe the independent companies that make documentaries for BBC4 / Channel 4 could produce something on similar lines if they dare not risk a programme devoted entirely to Ruby.
Besides Ruby, to share air time - I nominate Lita Roza, Joan Regan, Anne Shelton, Dorothy Squires and Marion Ryan. These ladies too, often seem to get overlooked these days.

Mark

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I have now received two more emails from Ch.4., one to say that my email had been forwarded on to the production team and the second from the team themselves. It's negative I'm afraid. They tell me that all programmes for the next 18 months are accounted for BUT they say they do not rule out doing a programme on Ruby some time in the future.???

Sorry friends but maybe one day soon an independent television company might step in and produce one. It certainly isn't a forlorn hope, maybe when I win the lottery.

Best wishes to you all. Adios Amigos. Bernie.