Never Never Land

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Never Never Land

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Folks,

The sheet music of "Never Never Land" has been obtained for me through a friend in America........He has been a fan of Rubys for many years and does go into the website to see what is happening but his only interest is in Rubys recordings and not memorabilia......I consider myself to be very fortunate that he looks after my interests in obtaining certain items.

Now the song it'self I believe to have been sung by Ruby in the Quite Contrary T.V broadcasts in 1954.

The song was quite popular and would have been classed as a novelty song.

In 1954 it was recorded by Diana Decker,The Beverley Sisters and Frank Weir.

A comedy version was also made by Peter Sellers.

It may be harder for Brians friend to come up with a T.V recording but if he can that would be great because I'm sure that Ruby would again put her special stamp on this song.

Best Wishes
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Graham, I must thank you on behalf of everybody else who is reading your message for the interesting remarks contained in it. I am sure I watched every one of the Quite Contrary shows with Ruby in, but with my memory being what it is these days, I can't say I remember the song at all. Let's just say I was too mesmerised by the singer to notice the song!
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Gerald,
Thank you for the kindness of a reply to the message I placed upon the "Message Board".

Even though the topic does seem to have been of some interest by the viewing figures I guess sometimes us regulars get a little disappointed when no replies are forthcoming.

I know this is a problem other members have suffered and it seems such a shame that when you think you have a topic which could help keep the Message Board alive it is ignored.

Lets hope that someone else can come up with a subject that can create more interest and generate many replies.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

I know how you feel. I repeatedly implore viewers to respond but, apart from the small group of regular contributors, viewers are content to view and pass on without contributing.

I can assure you that you are very much appreciated.

I am pleased that the viewing numbers carry on growing - long may it continue to do so, even if it's only silent viewers.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Graham has kindly sent me a copy of the sheet music for Never Never Land, and this is now placed in our Library, under the sheet music section.

I know it says Ruby Murray under the picture, but this one is in my opinion nothing like any other photographs we have of her. Perhaps it was created when she was taking her first steps towards becoming a famous singing star. What do you think?

The next challenges are to find a copy of the original studio photograph, and then to find a copy of Ruby actually singing the song! Any takers?
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Thank you Gerald nice to see "Never Never Land" in the Sheet Music Section.

It would be nice to find the original photograph of Ruby which appears on the music,indeed it is a very early picture of her.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I feel that I have been told that the photograph which appears in the "Anthology" C.D (Ruby sitting being photographed) was taken by her nephew and it seems that he has a very professional camera.

Could it be that it is a family photograph which was used and maybe taken by him.

I'm sure Bernie will know if it is Rubys nephew or perhaps I've got it all wrong in which case I'm sorry

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

Replying to Graham's queries relating to the early photographs of Ruby. Because it. or they, were taken, and used, before 1957, when Ruby and I met, I am struggling to throw any light on the subject. I have a few very early photos of Ruby in my collection, one of which is similar to the one used but not the actual one. I have no recollection of any one in the family being a photographer, although I think perhaps Ruby would have made me aware of that fact. There is a very small chance that Marie, Ruby's best friend, might have known so I will make a point of asking her. As we all know, she was very much involved in the days when Ruby was fairly new to showbusiness.

I hope to be telephoning Marie over this weekend, I usually chat to her on Sundays to enquire how she is. Naturally we reminisce about the old days in showbusiness. Our friend and fellow member -'Spudmurphy', Marie's daughter keeps her informed about the website and she maintains an interest of all the exchanges and postings.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.