A Teasing 'Teaser'

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Well done to John on getting the correct answer (hope you are well John!) and to Bernie on a good puzzler. Funny I was listening to Marion Ryan's version of "Mister Wonderful" only very recently. I still prefer Ruby's of course.

Martin.

:-)

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

The 'Teaser' certainly created quite a bit of activity, nearly 350 viewers and two pages of postings - Great!.

Here is a question that should be of interest. The viewing figures for the Belfast plaque unveiling is now on it's way to 16000, would it be fun to see if anyone can guess where that figure will be by the end of the year. I have a selection of Ruby's personal collection of her own L.P.s, well used of course. If I itemise those that I still have on the message board, the winner can pick one for his collection of memorabilia from the list as a prize. He, or she, may well have a complete collection of his own but perhaps it would add to his memorabilia if he had one that was owned by Ruby herself. I suggest that the winner would be the one who gets the nearest to the final figure on New Year's Eve. We will need a referee to control the proceeding, so if anyone would like to volunteer for that perhaps he, or she, could indicate so on the message board.

I cannot resist signing off by pushing my luck further by sneaking in another 'Teaser'.

In which of Ruby's records does she refer to the huge odds that are stacked against her?

I apologize for cheating in another 'Teaser'

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Would that be "Let Me Go Lover"
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

Oh! what a pity, This time you fell at the first fence, have another go.

I feel that I am in with a chance of a winner myself with this one.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie, hi friends,

Is it "Nevertheless I'm in love with you"?

When is the closing date for entries to the viewing figures competition?

Best wishes.

Martin. :D

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Martin.

A good try once again, nevertheless, it isn't the correct answer. Sorry Martin. Your keeness is very commendable.

When we have a volunteer to act as referee we can then decide the closing date for entries.

Kindes regards. Adios Amigo, Bernie.
Last edited by Bernie Burgess on Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jk

Post by Jk »

I think this could be "Scarlet Ribbons" If I Live To Be a 200 I will Never know, and so on. This is a song that I think Ruby sings terrific her voice is so sweet on every note, and is one that I play regularly, it is also one that a lot of people ask me for.

If I'm wrong with this one I will sit back and watch the others have a go. It would be so nice if you did win one Bernie, Mmmmmm.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello John,

Not Scarlet Ribbons, I'm sorry John. I agree with you about Ruby's performance on the recording. I also agree with you that it would be good if I could win one.

I think Gerald is due back from his short break, so I expect he will no doubt have a go at solving this one. No clues as yet, I am keen to see how long I survive.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Seeing as I will be flying off to Geneva on Friday (May 11th) for a few months, although I will be able to stay in touch with the website whilst I am away. methinks it's time for a clue, (or two.)???

Parting is such sweet sorrow. The odds are named.

I've given it away now, fool that I am.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

This is a hard one, I think.

How about "If it takes forever, I will wait for you, for a thousand summers I will wait for you."
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

Hard luck stories all round, sorry Gerald it's not 'I will Wait For You'. It is not so much being absent, it's much closer to home really.

It would be hard of me if I suggested that as clues are given the colour of the star should change, like, 1 clue reduces the gold to silver, 2 clues reduces the colour again. No, thats much too drastic, I will leave it at gold.

That is all about laying a smoke screen to blur the picture a little,

Last day tomorrow so get your guesses in before I reveal all.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Bernie,

I will have a try before you leave on Friday.

I think it's Ruby having troubles in the song that was so different for Ruby

I'll Walk The Rest Of The Way"

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Firtsly, Graham. I'm sorry it's not 'I'll Walk the Rest Of the Way'.

It's perhaps a little early to claim victory but I leave very early in the morning so I must reveal he answer.

Going through the clues. Clue No.1 - "Parting is such sweet sorrow".
Referring to saying 'Farewell'

Clue No.2, "The odds are named," -
Referring to the actual figures being quoted

Clue No. 3 "It's much closer to home"
Referring to the 'Home' Page Which narrows it down to 5 songs,

THE ANSWER: - The full line is:

"A THOUSAND CHANCES ARE TO 1- (1000 to 1) I never may return.
FAREWELL to Ballyshannon and the winding banks of Erne"

Who do I collect my gold star from??

Regarding future participants for the 'Teaser' I shall be handing the reigns over to Gerald to invite the next posting. Mind you, I haven't told him that yet.

I will be in touch from Geneva.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

[/u]

Gerald Lawrence

I can't believe we all missed such an obvious one as a song sitting on the Home Page for the last 2 months! Well done Bernie, we will have to find a Gold Star from somewhere.

Are there any offers for a new challenge that will be as difficult as Bernie's one?
Gerald

Gerald Lawrence

Here's One From Me

It seems nobody wants to post a teaser, so let's see if anyone is interested in one from me.

We have had two songs already in this thread in which a number is mentioned. Are there any other songs in which Ruby sings the same number?
Gerald