Tutti Frutti

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Tutti Frutti

Post by Graham Bunn »

Some time ago Gerald put forward a challenge to see who could be the first to find a 78 recording of "The Four Jone Boys".......

Still looking...But Bernie did you know you have another recording released this year?.

Tutti Frutti is on a four C.D boxed set called "Rock 'N' Skiffle.......With the C.D is a nice booklet with notes against each artist.

Against "The Four Jones Boys" it reads as follows

The Four Jones Boys covered Little Richards Tutti Frutti (Decca F10717) adding a new version of their own about ice cream but it failed to give them a hit.A popular live act,their numerous recordings on Decca and Columbia failed to get them chart recognition.However they were a very popular live act and whilst appearing in a summer season in Blackpool in 1957,Bernie Burgess of The Jones Boys met Ruby Murray.They married 10 days later in secret and Bernie went on to be her personal manager,and in the early 60's they performed as a double act.They were later divorced and Ruby remarried.Bernie currently lives in Spain.

The C.D is produced by Proper records and is found on PROPERBOX 135

The artists and the songs are all from the fifties(I regret Ruby is not one of these artists) but Bernie you are in good company with such artists as

Lita Roza,Dennis Lotis,Ray Ellington,The Dep River Boys,The Five Smith Bros,Johnston Brothers and many many more artists.

Bernie I regret to say that my version of Tutti Frutti is by Pat Boone.

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Graham,

What a surprize! - I can confirm that we were never a 'Rock' or 'Skilffle act and it is true that we didn't manage to get into the Hit Parade. As the notes say, we were a visual act more than a recording act, but we managed to achieve Top of the Bill status through being entertaining.

As is the norm, the facts are somewhat awry. For example, WE didn't add the piece concerning ice cream into 'Tutti Frutti', it was wriiten in the lyric. As for marrying Ruby 10 days after we met, that is well wide of the mark too. The true situation is - I met Ruby, along with the rest of the cast of the 1957 summer show, in early May of that year when we gathered in London for a weeks rehearsal in a rehearsal room near the Edgware Road. We then moved to Blackpool for another weeks rehearsal before the opening of the show on May 16th (If my reccolection of the opening date is correct) Our relationship started well into the season. The true situation regarding the 10 day period is the length of time we were engaged. Our engagement was very quickly after Ruby and I got to know one another so it truely was a lightning romance.

As I have repeatedly said, I DIDN'T ever set out to become her personal manager. I eventually took charge of her datebook when I had started an Agency/Management business, managing other artistes and supplying entertainment throughout the country. Because I was negotiating engagements for Ruby is was assumed by everyone that I had become Ruby's personal manager, but at that time Ruby was stilll with The Delfont office. When their supply of engagements slowed down I took over her date book. We DIDN'T form a double act, as is frequently reported, we merely added a couple of duets into Ruby's own performance.

For years I could never find any of our (THE 4 JONES BOYS) early recordings, I had a collection of chipped, scratched and even broken 78s. After several radio interviews relating that story, copies began to appear. 'Tutti Frutti' and 'The Day That the Rains Came Down' were released on C.D. and with the help of Gerald and many other friends, to whom I am eternally grateful, I gradually built up a collection. My 78 copy of 'Moments To Remember', a Decca release, I have managed to convert into a clock which current is displayed on a wall on my apartment.

So, regarding the press reports, as the old saying goes, - 'Don't believe everything that you read in the press, they tend to make up their own stories.

If I can find the technical means of copying a couple of our songs, including 'Tuttu Frutti' I will do my best to get then to you, that is if you would like them???

Kindest regards to you and all the fans/friends.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the quick reply,it's always nice to get the correct information.

If ever I see anything which has been recorded by "The Four Jones Boys"I always purchase it,but as you say there has been very little released.

My C.D collection now boasts"The Day The Rains Came" and this new one "Tutti Frutti".

If it is ever possible to convert some of your 78 material to C.D I would love to have a copy........Who knows perhaps if persuasion is put in the right quarter we may get "The Four Jones Boys" songs as a complete C.D,that would be nice .

Take Care
Graham

rbl.ca

Digitizing records and cassettes

Post by rbl.ca »

Hi everyone.

Bernie, I'd bet that Gerald could digitize your old 78s. If you'd like to try it yourself, you could get Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition, which is very easy to use. I managed to create 4 CDs from 11 old cassette tapes. I had a problem with my records because my phonograph did not have the necessary port for a digital cable.

Good luck.
Ralph

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Well spotted Graham, it is nice to help out Bernie from time to time for all he does for us regarding Ruby.

I have no evidence of course, but the sleeve notes suggest just a little that maybe somebody has gleaned some information from around here, particularly the bit about "double act in the early 60s".

I know we shouldn't generalise of course, but a long time ago somebody once said to me that if you know the full story about something, then read it in a newspaper, it is nearly always wrong! I should apologise right away to any journalists reading this!

Ralph, regarding transferring 78 rpm records, I have done this successfully for my early transcriptions of some of Ruby's records, and one or two are still in our Library. I modified my Dansette record player (the British amongst us will remember this famous model) to take the signal directly off the stylus cartridge output, and then into the phono input of my Hi-Fi system. The latter gave the necessary equalisation curve (for the experts, something called RIAA curve which cuts the treble and restores the bass in the opposite way to which is was recorded onto the shellac) and gave me a flat signal on line out terminals which went into the sound card of my computer. Then the computer was used to clean out the clicks and hiss.

I think I would have trouble with Bernie's copy of "Moments to Remember" though - I think the hands of the clock would get in the way of the stylus!
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello to you all, I don't know if any of you ever saw "The Jones Boys" on stage, but I can assure you that they were a very good act, the movement on stage was very well rehearsed, and I thought they sang very well, I can't remember anyone any better in those days.

Your 78's Bernie can be put onto your computer, if you can get hold of a lead that would fit into the back of your Hi Fi, then to your computer. Like Ralph said you can get a lot of software that would help you do the job, I use Roxio, and you can get rid of scratches and any background noise. Gerald did a very good job with "The Very First Christmas Of all", it was one of my favourite Christmas songs, and I lost my copy so Gerald kindly sent it me by email, it had a bad scratch on but later he did some work on it and re sent it, the scratch had gone, and the recording sounded great. I hope you get yours sorted Bernie, I would love to hear some.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Thanks for the information. John's kind remarks about The Jones Boys act was very flattering, it's a pity you didn't approach us at that time about being our publicity agent John. We were reasonable 'movers' too, in the 1957 Blackpool show we did a dance routine with Ruby to 'See You Later Alligator'

I must find the time to sort out just how many Jones Boys records I have amongst my memorabilia and try to put them altogether on to a C.D. - if it's possible.

What a pity the newly released C.D. hasn't got some of Ruby's tracks on, that would have been great.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.