It's Great To Be Young

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

It's Great To Be Young

Post by Graham Bunn »

I don't think the film "It's Great To Be Young has been issued as a D.V.D for some time (if ever) but it can now be found in a boxed set of D.V.D's by that great actor John Mills.

It's good film and it is so nice to hear Ruby singing "You Are My First Love" over the films starting credits

It also stars Dorothy Bromiley who was with Ruby in the film "A Touch Of The Sun"..........In the film although Dorothy seems to be singing "You Are My First Love,it is the voice of Edna Savage which is used.

Best Wishes
Graham

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you Graham - I so enjoyed that film when it came out. The music is terrific, and the characters fitted in so well with my own age at the time (16). If only we had DVDs or videos then I would have watched it dozens of times!

I have oftened wondered why they used Ruby's voice as a title introduction, and Edna Savage for Dorothy Bromiley's singing voice. Coming early in 1956 there is no doubt that Ruby at the time the film was made was by far the bigger star. I imagine her fee would have been greater than that of Edna, but she was engaged to sing the title song anyway, so having Edna as well was just extra cost.

My own theory is that for the part Dorothy was playing, a young teenager, Ruby's voice turned out to be rather too mature to be convincing. I have to admit that on this criterion, Edna does a good job of singing it for Dorothy. No matter how hard I try, I just can't visualise the way Ruby sings "You Are My First Love" being matched with Dorothy's character.

There may also have been the simple argument that when the film was being shot, Ruby was by then too big a star and her voice too well known for it to be used for an actress to mime to.

On another point, I seem to remember that the great British trumpeter, Kenny Baker, provided the music for the trumpet shots.
Gerald

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Hello Gerald,
I do agree with you about Rubys voice being too mature to fit in with the teenager Dorothy Bromiley........Edna Savages voice did suite her much better.

Am I right in thinking that the version of "You Are My First Love" was never released in record form by Edna Savage?.

Although this was a chart hit for Ruby in 1956,I think we then had to wait until 1958 for her next chart hit "Real Love"(I know I will soon be told if I am wrong)

Best Wishes
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Although I was not around when Ruby recorded 'You Are My First Love' and I cannot remember ever discussing the song with her, can I put forward another possible theory as to why they decided not to use Ruby's voice? = Perhaps it was because Ruby's voice was so very distinctive and easily recognizable as Ruby's. No-one had a voice that sounded anything like her's, it was so individualistic. Well.... If it isn't the reason, I'd like to think that it was.

I mention in the book that, as a result of me instilling some confidence into Ruby and standing beside her whilst she telphoned Norrie Paramor at E.M.I. when we were at the end of the 1958 summer season in Gt. Yarmouth, Ruby took him to task about not coming up with any good material for recording. As a result he came up with 'Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye' and the Bobby Darin song.- 'Real Love'. Both songs charted. It was a pity that Ray Martin left Columbia, finishing up in the U.S.A, because he was so in tune with Ruby, far more so than Norrie. Ray managed to bring the best out of Ruby when he was recording her at Abbey Road.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.