Ruby Murray Engaged

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Johnny Mac

Ruby Murray Engaged

Post by Johnny Mac »

:?: It's been quite some time since I posted anything on the site, although I have been visiting it to keep up with the topics.
I have recently been working on a school magazine to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the opening of the school.
I was scanning in a report from our local paper The Banbridge Chronicle, dated 16th August 1957, when I noticed on the same front page an article entitled 'Ruby Murray engaged.' It was an announcement of the engagement of Ruby to Bernie that same month.
As it was 50 years ago this year I though it would be an interesting article to upload onto the site and I asked and was given permission by The Banbridge Chronicle to do so.
I'm not sure whether to go ahead and upload the article, or would it be better to e-mail it to Timmer or some of the more regular contributors so they could have a look at it, before doing so.
I personally think it a very interesting article.
I will await advice on this.

Regards,
Johnny Mac

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Johnny, You go ahead and upload it onto the site, I can't see any reason why anyone would object, that is what the site is all about. I wish others would post Items on for us all to enjoy.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I agree entirely with J.K.'s comments, that is what the site is all about. We need many more postings like this one, I look forward to reading it. Of course, it could be that I might get criticized in the piece, not everyone was pleased when I put a ring on Ruby's finger, but I would still like to read it.

I remember reading a piece in a Northern Ireland newspaper which was about a local Belfast City Councillor, Sandy Blair. He was displeased because at the time, several years ago, the Council had not recognized Ruby's achievements and he campaigned for a plaque to be erected. Several years went by and nothing happened, it was then that I took up the task and eventually won.

Gerald saw some articles in Irish Newspapers and posted them for us all to read. We await your posting.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Johnny Mac

Ruby Murray Engaged

Post by Johnny Mac »

:oops: Thanks to both JK and Bernie for their quick respone to my post.
Despite repeated attempts to upload I keep getting the message 'Invalid Account Information'. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong as I am using my proper e-mail and the password is the same one that gets me logged on to the site.
Can someone give me some advice on this? Or would it be possible for me to send the attachment directly to you JK to upload it for me?
It would obviously be better for me to be able to upload myself, hopefully for future occasions.
I have the file saved both as a jpeg and a pdf, but despite trying both I still get the same message 'Invalid Account Information.'

You would think as I work an Apple Mac in a printing office I should be able to do these things, unfortunately the little grey cells are getting fewer as the years roll on and technology is starting to race by me!!!

Thanks again,
Johnny Mac

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hi Johnny, you certainly can send it to me to have a try, I will do my best to upload it for you.
Regards
John.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello All, on behalf of Johnny Mac I have uploaded an article of Ruby's & Bernie's engagement in the miscellaneous library.
Thanks Johnny for sharing that with us.
Regards
John.

Johnny Mac

Ruby Murray Engaged

Post by Johnny Mac »

:lol: I have to say a big thank you to JK for helping me out with getting the article on site. He has posted it for me in the miscellaneous file.
I have opened it and printed out a copy and it is working fine. I hope you all enjoy reading it, and certainly for Bernie I hope it brings back many happy memories.
Thanks again JK,
Regards, Johnny Mac

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Welcome back, Johnny Mac, and thank you for the article.

I perhaps should explain for others who may have something to upload that some time ago we struck a problem with the registration process. It seems to allow only those already registered to upload things, but not new people even though they follow the instructions. This is not something I can address, but I know Timmer has it on his list of things to sort out. He is however a busy chap, unlike some of us who have retired from work!

But there are several of us who can upload anything of interest provided it is e-mailed to us, as JK has just proved, so don't let that stop anyone if there is something that you think we would all like to see.
Gerald

Gerald Lawrence

Re: Post Subject

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Bernie Burgess wrote: Of course, it could be that I might get criticized in the piece, not everyone was pleased when I put a ring on Ruby's finger, but I would still like to read it.
Bernie and I have already had a good laugh when I told him that I was very miffed when he became engaged to Ruby - I was rather hoping she might have waited for me to grow a bit older - I was just 17 at the time! Mind you, there were probably several hundred thousand other chaps thinking the same in 1957.

Anybody else care to admit that Ruby was his first love? (Cue for a song, I think......)
Gerald

Jk

Re: Post Subject

Post by Jk »

Gerald Lawrence wrote: I was rather hoping she might have waited for me to grow a bit older.
Hello Gerald, I bet Rosemary is chuffed to bits with that remark. I am not committing myself on that subject, I already had two girlfriends going at the time, Pat from Alton and Kathleen from Bolton, who I introduced them both to Ruby, who was quick of the mark and said in a quite voice "You have your hands full John". Ruby had a very good sense of humour that a lot of people never saw that side of her.
Regards
John.