New Pictures Of Ruby

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
Regarding the latest 3 photos that have been added to the Forum.
Firstly, the powder blue suit. It's the 2nd photo of Ruby in trousers that has been uploaded, the other one was labelled 'Cinderella'. Forgive me for going back in history but I must mention that in my book there was quite a lot made, by various people, that - Bernie didn't like women in trousers. Just one small reason, of many, for me to rectify incorrect facts that I itemised in the book. Contrary to the claims that were made, I loved Ruby in trousers, (she had plenty of trouser suits)and anyone else who chose to wear them, so I have made my point. Ruby really did look stunning in that powder blue suit.
Martin, I can tell you that it was Ruby's own suit that she wore in the film 'Touch Of the Sun'. Regarding the white dress in the C.S.E. photo, from memory I can tell you that she is wearing that dress for the sleeve of the 'RUBY' album. AND ' The Best of Ruby' album.

Gerald is quite correct, the days of hosts of stars in one summer season seaside resort will never return. Sorry to say that 'Look Alike' and 'Sound Alike' shows took over, having said that, even they are not pulling in the crowds now, they too have passed their sell by date. Blackpool is a mere shadow of what it used to be back in those wonderful years. Television no longer provide slots for the artistes that used to star at summer seaside resorts. As far as Blackpool is concerned, there are no full summer season shows, only a few one niters here and there, it's a sad scene.

Sorry but I can't answer the question about the colour of the sequin dress. that was before I met Ruby, but a very nice photo anyway.

I'd like to say that I am delighted with the amount of interest that is being shown for the new selection of Ruby's own collection of photographs, keep watching the same space - "There's More"

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello all, 3 more pictures off Ruby uploaded, plus a bonus one taken in Belfast after the Plaque Unveiling Day.
3 More on Wednesday.
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

Hope everybody is having a nice weekend.

Thanks for all the info Bernie. I wonder if the present occupants of the Whitehouse realise that the former occupant was a famous singing star?

Could the dress I was asking about be the same as the one Ruby wears on the front page of the website, which I think was blue? At any rate it is a lovely photograph.

Thanks guys

Martin. :)

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Regarding the latest 4 photographs that have been uploaded onto the Forum. The first one was of the celebration dinner in Belfast, after the unveiling of the plaque on the facia of The Ulster Hall in Belfast. Those celebrating are :-

Mr & Mrs Lawrence, (Gerald and Rosemary), Sandy, Frank Bowles (he helped me with the book) and myself. Especially for the occasion, Gerald supplied some very large letters, spelling RUBY MURRAY,which we all held aloft in front of a webcam system that was installed on the exterior of the City Hall in Belfast city centre. The images went directly out onto the Internet letting the world know of our mission.

Certainly a day to remember with pride.

The next is The Whithouse, Charlwood Drive, our very first home in Oxshott. The car in the drive was one of the first Vauxhall Crestas, we chose a very colourful car, it was a mixture of pink and grey. We certainly went to town with colours. In the hallway of the house we had 5 doors leading to every room in the house and we painted them all different colours - very psychedelic.

For our first year, I planted a large amount of annual flowers which filled the garden with a blaze of colour. There were no shrubs, trees or any other screening around the back garden, so for quickness I added trellis to the existing fence and planted climbing roses. Everybody became aware of the fact that we were colourful characters. We lived there for only a couple of years, then we discovered Rectory Cottage.

The third one was an after the show photo with Ruby and a lady Mayoress.
I have tried to recall where it was taken but I am not sure. I would guess that it was in Great Yarmouth, but I could be wrong.

The last one was taken on board the 'Pendennis Castle', a Union Castle liner, en route to Cape Town, South Africa in 1961. We took part in all of the on board games, including fancy dress. In this shot Ruby still has her fancy dress costume on. she was dressed as a jockey. Paul Burnett (Pianist/Musical Director) and his wife Sally accompanied us on the tour. Yet another wonderful experience.

Keep looking cos' there's more.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

What a nice surprise to see again the photograph taken after our dinner in Belfast. Gosh - is it really over two years ago? I remember well preparing all the sheets to spell out Ruby's name. We knew that quite a few people were unable to get over for the plaque unveiling, and when we heard that there was a City Hall webcam, the idea came to me. We who were there did not know it at the time, but when we got back we learned that our pictures had been put in the library within hours of us standing there! I look back with pride on everything you achieved, Bernie, and also for the lovely contribution that Julie and Tim made to that day. Fortunately it is all in the library for us to look at again (I might just do that!) and of course, also on YouTube thanks again to John.

The Whitehouse looks to have been a really nice house, although the garden does look a bit sparce in the photo - still there are two experts at it getting it ready for the Spring next year. I remember well that model Vauxhall Cresta because about the same time a friend of my father's bought one and we had a ride in it. I felt I was in an American car, it was so big inside compared to our Ford Anglia (100E, 1172 cc side valve engine).

In the photo on board Pendennis Castle, Ruby was dressed as a jockey - what did you go as Bernie?
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Gerald,

As I said in the posting, we took part in all the deck games, which included deck cricket. The passengers team took on the crews' team and we won. For my part in the fancy dress, I constructed a hat in the shape of a coffin and on the side I wrote. 'The Ashes - of the Crew team' Seeing as the judging was done by the crew, I didn't even get placed. I lodged an appeal and I lost that too.

Adios Amigo. Bernie.

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello All, just uploaded 3 more photos, Bernie will explain them for you. Next posting Saturday.

Thanks for all your comments.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends.

3 more photos uploaded. The first one is of Ruby with the two children in a play area for children, which was provided by the accommodation complex where some of the artistes were staying. In the show with Ruby was Freddy & The Dreamers, Dev Shaun (Irish Comedian) and I think Tony Dali was also in the show.

The children had a whale of a time, but it was somewhat spolied when Juile broke her arm coming down the slide. Not to be denied, she was back playing on the swings in no time, with her arm in a sling.

The 2nd one is of the lobster pot playpen that we bought for Julie, it had it's moments of usefulness but Julie was a very active baby so being confined in the playpen soon became boring to her.

The 3rd. one is in a flat that we leased for the pantomime period in the Christmas of 1960/61. It proved to be a show that broke all box office records at the Pavilion Theatre in Torquay. Paul Burnett was once again the Musical Director for the show and he and his wife Sally spent a lot of time with us in the flat, they were always very good company.The pantomime was 'Cinderella' with Derek Roy playing Buttons, they were both quite superb in their roles.

I am flying to England for 6 days, starting from tomorrow, so I will continue writing up about the downloads when I return of the 27th.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Some more nice pictures, thank you both.

If one of your children breaks an arm coming down a slide today, the parents would probably end up taking the council to court! I must say Ruby looks very relaxed in this one.

We tried a playpen for each of our three children, but if I remember correctly, they all started off by throwing every toy out of it, and then crying because they had nothing to play with! So we resorted to moving everything dangerous or breakable up by a couple of feet, and then letting them play on the carpet. This is a very happy picture of all three of you.

The Torquay apartment picture is unfortunately not as sharp as all the others, but it is still interesting to see what is in the background. For example, a TV that looks to have doors that can cover over the blank screen, a chromium coal bucket (we had one just like that! Obviously no central heating, and it was winter) and lots of Christmas cards pinned up. Cheers!
Gerald

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Guys, 3 more photos uploaded, hope you like them. Next posting Wednesday.

Bernie will explain the photos when he returns to Spain next week.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I am posting this message from my nephew's home in Birmingham
Regarding the 3 new photographs. The first one of Ruby attending Julie's hair. We were delighted with Julie's hair, it was a beautiful auburn colour. When Ruby and I were younger, we both had a touch of red in our hair, so too did Ruby's sister - Patsy. Like most of the younger generations, Julie went through some 'fads' with changing the colour of her hair but I was pleased she was back to her natural colour when she did the duet with Tim at the unveiling of the plaque.

Photo number 2 - It is perhaps obvious that Tim had an ear for music, as it would appear in the 2nd photo. We had just had a session of music with the portable record player

Photo No.3 confirms that Ruby was a natural mother and did all that is so important when holding or feeding the baby. Notice that she is supporting the baby's head, which is so important, according to my Mother.

I will be back in Spain on Wednesday friends.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello all members, I have just uploaded 4 new pictures, unfortunately, these are the last I have on my computer from Bernie. I hope we have more to come, but in the mean time I would like to thank Bernie for letting us all have a peep into his private collection of pictures.

Thanks Bernie.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
The eagle has landed. I had only a six day stay in he U.K. but I managed to achieve what I set out to do, including attending to family plaques at the Crematorium. Now safely back in my apartment and ready to continue with my explanations of the new photographs of Ruby.

The first of the last four to be uploaded by John is one with Julie with her mother. I don't think I can improve on what John has already said about the photo saying that LOVE is obviously there.

The second shot is of an interview between Ruby and a reporter from one of the musical papers. I feel sure that it was -The New Musical Express. I just wonder whether there is a link between this shot and the one of Ruby 'In the Streets of London', from an earlier uploading, she is wearing the same fur coat so it could have been the same day???

The third shot is quite an historic one. It was taken in the garden of my Auntie Netta's house in Oxford. There are 4 generations in the shot. - my child (Julie) my wife (Ruby) my Auntie (Netta) and my Grandmother 'Nan' Burgess) The little boy is my Auntie's grandson, his mother (my cousin Joan) is not present.

The fourth shot is of 'your's truely'. a solemn picture too. I think that I must have been caught unaware when the camera clicked. The shot of Ruby's portrait is good though. It was taken in the living room of our house in Oxshott..

John states that he is now out of photos to upload, I must have another rummage to see whether I can remedy that.

My best wishes to everyone. Adios Amigos. Bernie

Jk

Post by Jk »

Thanks to Bernie we now have more pictures to share with you all. I have put 4 new ones on for now. Next pictures will be Wednesday. Hope you enjoy them.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

The 4 new photographs - The first of which features Ruby in the company of the 60s recording star Tommy Bruce, the gravel voiced cockney recording star. One of his big hits was his version of 'Button and Bows' He was a very nice person to work with and always had a big broad smile. He had a very pleasing way with his audiences and his act, which was based mainly of 60s music, always scored wherever he appeared.

The 2nd. photograph was taken in Ruby's dressing room at the Empire Theatre in Glasgow. Barry Fitzgerald, the loveable Irish/American film star, unexpectedly attended the theatre and asked to be introduced to Ruby. To remind friends who might be struggling to remember who Barry Fitzgerald was, in one of his successful films he starred as an elderly priest in a Bing Crosby film about the priesthood in America. He had a very distinctive, gentle but thick Irish/American accent.

The third and fourth photographs are in connection with music. I hope that it will be possible to read the small print on the photographs which will explain what the stories are all about.

More photos to come friends

Adios Amigos. Bernie.