Lita Roza

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Lita Roza

Post by Brian Henson »

Sadly Lita Roza died yesterday, and I felt it would be appropriate to mention the news here, as the careers of Ruby and Lita overlapped several times through the years.

Prior to Ruby's breakthrough and chart dominance during the mid-1950s, Lita had regularly been voted favourite female vocalist in the music press, and she remained hugely popular and respected by her loyal followers - and indeed, like Ruby she continued to record stylish albums and singles on various labels for many years after the hit parade days ended.

Their paths crossed on various TV shows too. There is a photograph of Lita and Ruby together in the 1950s with bandleader Ted Heath in (I think) the NME. Does anyone recall if it has been uploaded to the Library? If not, I must rectify that. Some 30 years later, they were both invited to appear on a spectacular Royal Celebration of 40 Years of Peace 1945-1985, televised from the Palace Theatre, London. Ruby and Lita were among the stars chosen to represent the 1950s, and they sang 'Softly Softly' and 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me' respectively. I'm sure many of you had your videos set, as I did, to capture that memorable show.

I must mention too a couple of curious overlaps in their recording careers during the 1950s. The song 'Jimmy Unknown' was a big chart hit for Lita Roza in 1956, but it wasn't until Bernie Burgess persuaded EMI to issue the treasured 4xCD boxed set, that it came to light that Ruby had recorded the song too. Happily we now have her beautiful version on CD, and can only speculate whether it might have been a chart hit for both ladies had Ruby's version been issued at the time instead of getting left on the shelf. Another connection that springs to mind is regarding Ruby's recording of 'You Are My First Love'. I think it's not generally known that Lita recorded the song too, but it wasn't issued in the UK. I guess it was recorded for release in America (where as we know, Nat King Cole also covered the song). I've just remembered that Lita also recorded 'Heartbeat' and 'Let Me Go Lover' on Decca singles, so their respective labels had several attempts at setting the two vocalists up in competition.

Happily they both enjoyed remarkably successful careers, but sadly both have now left the stage. Mark Willerton, who has contributed to the Ruby Murray website on several occasions, knew Lita personally and has created a wonderfully illustrated website in tribute to her - and I would encourge readers here to spend a little time browsing through the collection Mark has made available on the internet. Visit: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/litaroza/litaroza/

Thank you for your music, Lita. Rest in Peace.

Brian

Graham Bunn

Post by Graham Bunn »

Thank you for posting this information Brian......We have lost another wonderful singer.
I remember so well her time with the Ted Heath Band when she sang along with Dickie Valentine and Dennis Lotis(I saw Dennis singing about two years ago and he still sounded good).

I think Lita was always a little annoyed that she would always be remembered for the song "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" which she hated and never performed in her live shows.

I also have the that wonderful fifties clip from T.V and if I remember rightly Lita gave an interview before the show indicating that she was still wearing the gowns that she wore in the fifties always skin tight.

Brian when you look at the fifties clip it makes you realise how many good singers we have lost......Ruby Anne Shelton,Lita Roza.......Craig Douglas is still with us but then he was so young when he was having his hits.

I had not seen Litas passing reported so I was pleased to see that you had given her the recognition that she deserved.

Take Care
Graham

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

I am deeply saddened by the news of Lita's passing. I kept in touch with Mark Willerton for quite a long time asking about Lita's health. She fought a long brave battle with Diabetis and managed to keep it under control. As The 4 Jones Boys we worked on many variety bills with Lita, the last time was either at the Hippodrome Wigan or the Theatre Royal Hanley.

She had some very fine musicians touring with her, I remember her pianist at that time was Con Bernard, a brilliant keyboard player. It's quite true about her hating her big hit song 'Doggie in the Window'. The fact remains that artistes have to sing songs that the record buying public want to hear and therefore A & R men often persuaded artistes to sing some songs that they didn't really want to. I am almost sure that the same story applied to The Stargazers, they were far better than 'I see the Moon the Moon Sees Me'.

The world of music will sadly miss Lita, she was a very fine singer and a great artiste.

Respectfully - Bernie Burgess.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Thank you Brian for updating us, even though it is sad news.

Lita had a most distinctive voice and like others, I must have heard her first with the Ted Heath Band. I wasn't an avid fan (I spent all my pocket money on trying to keep up with Ruby's releases) but she was certainly a singer I liked.

I am sad she has passed on, but glad that people like us will remember her.
Gerald

Mark

Lita - the memories

Post by Mark »

As Bernie states above – he was very concerned about Lita’s well being and we discussed the matter on several occasions, whilst being careful to retain Lita’s privacy and dignity.
Lita loved animals and was never happier than when she was taking her dog for a walk on Wandsworth common – a short walk from where she had lived since the early 70s. Lita was accepted and known by the locals, who would chat to her on a daily basis and she really seemed to enjoy it.
In the 60s there were the Poodles, Penny and Tuppence and when I first met Lita in 1993, Hobo was in charge! After he passed away, Lita took on Sheena, a dog she rescued from Battersea Dogs Home
About 5 years ago, problems began to develop for Lita, associated with her diabetes, such as the loss of her mobility. But knowing that Sheena would miss her walks on the common, Lita invested in a scooter, in order to carry on taking her beloved dog to the common for exercise.
Whatever Lita was having for dinner, including the best steak, or Sunday roast, Sheena enjoyed the same.
So it was great loss when Sheena died late last year – but still enjoying a quality of life that Lita afforded her to the very end, even though the dog was now deaf and blind in her last year.
After Sheena died, Lita seemed to give up herself. She had no one to care for, but couldn’t face getting to know another dog. She admitted she had shed more tears over Sheena than for some family members – during calls she broke down if Sheena was mentioned.
Lita was first diagnosed with Diabetes circa 1950 – and did remarkable job managing the condition, throughout her years as a top singing star. She was concerned it shouldn’t be revealed in case theatres or promoter’s thought her an insurance risk. So all praise due – she hid the fact during her many years of fame.
I looked through an album of music sheets today, of songs she recorded and one is titled ‘It’s all over, but the memories’ … and Lita dedicated it to me adding.. ‘Almost, but not quite’, beneath the heading. She was a witty lady – and always called a spade a spade. No airs and graces – she didn’t suffer fools gladly.
A double CD was released on the Acrobat label about 6 weeks ago – it focused on her recording output for the Ember label from the early 60s. The CD also contains a selection of her best work with Decca in the 50s. Lita called me to say she loved the CD and how it was presented.
‘ How much is that Doggie in the window’ is included – so Lita may have actually accepted her most well known song at last, albeit in her final days.

Mark

Gerald Lawrence

Mark, thank you for that super background information on the dearly departed Lita Roza.

Mark has also sent me a press cutting photograph showing Ruby and Lita together with other stars, and this is now in the Library. Thanks for that, Mark.
Gerald

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I've just added another photograph to the Library of Ruby and Lita together. Also in the photo is Laurie London and Bernard Braden, and they appear to be present at some kind of celebration as glasses are raised. It would be interesting to know what the occasion was. The former child star, Little Laurie London, is no longer so little and I would guess by their appearance that the gathering was at least in the late 1960s. Have you any thoughts, Bernie, on the reason they were together?

Our thanks go to Graham Bunn for finding this picture, which he sent to me by e-mail with a request that I upload it to the Library.

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

The only time Ruby appeared with Bernard Braden was when his new television show was launched and she was a guest on the programme. My thoughts are that all three, Ruby, Lita and Laurie London were all guests on his show and the photo was taken at the studio. Bernie (not me, him) looks as though he is actually working at the time of the photo being taken.

I am still not sure whether I really enjoy looking at photos from the past, it always makes me well up and I get a lump in my throat. If only scientists could have invented the time machine in our time and not in the future. Ah1 well.... c'est la vie.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

Somehow or other I seem to have spoiled the photograph of Ruby with Laurie London, Lita Roza and Bernard Braden. It was much clearer as e-mailed to me by Graham Bunn, but in the upload to rm.org it's become very blotchy. Strangely though, if you click on the 'enlarge' button in the bottom right-hand corner it becomes much clearer, but too large to view on my screen without scrolling across. (I presume the rest of you are viewing it in a similarly unsatisfactory manner.)

I've e-mailed our computer wiz-kid Gerald to see if something can be done to correct it. Meanwhile my apologies to Graham for screwing up his most interesting photograph.

I'm sure, Bernie, some pictures of Ruby must make you sad to look at, especially the family ones ..... but alongside her Recordings, these images are real treasures and a lasting testament to her charm and beauty, and visual reminders of many highlights in her sparking career.

Brian

Mark

Fabulous females such as Ruby and Lita ...

Post by Mark »

My top favourite recordings of Lita are the four sides she recorded for EMI during 1965. As fans of Ruby will know, these tracks appear on the Vocalion CD ‘ Five Fabulous Females’ alongside a lovely selection by Ruby, Joan Regan, Marion Ryan and Jean Campbell.
I’ve been playing this CD quite a lot this past week and it has proved very comforting in remembering the talents of all of these song stylists. Sadly, Joan Regan is the only name still with us – but I’m pleased to report Joan is still in great voice, when I saw her in Skegness on August 6th.
As Brian states above – Ruby also recorded ‘Jimmy Unknown’ which remained unreleased until the box set and Lita recorded ‘You are my first love’ – which is still currently un-issued. Lita gave me her acetate copy and ( in my opinion) and being fair and honest – Ruby’s remains the superior version and I feel that Lita’s ‘ Jimmy’ can’t be bettered.

Mark

Brian Henson

Post by Brian Henson »

I mentioned in my opening message above a photograph of Lita and Ruby with bandleader Ted Heath. Having searched through my NMEs, I'm pleased to say that I eventually found it and it's now uploaded to the library.

Brian

Gerald Lawrence

Brian Henson wrote: I've e-mailed our computer wiz-kid Gerald to see if something can be done to correct it. Meanwhile my apologies to Graham for screwing up his most interesting photograph.
Brian
I have had a play with the original as e-mailed to me by Brian, and it seems to have come out a bit smaller but a bit clearer on my computer. It is now in the library.

A few years ago I went to a Ted Heath concert played by the Don Lusher Big Band (sadly he is also no longer with us) and they had for sale some of Ted Heath's CDs in the foyer. I bought one entitled The Best of Ted Heath and all of the tracks are from the 50s, with singers including Dickie Valentine and Dennis Lotis. Lita sings "Blacksmith Blues", "Allentown Jail", "That's a-Why", and "Bell Bottom Blues" and the whole album reminds me so much of the period when I first became interested in popular music. It is great to have the picture of Ted Heath, Lita and Ruby together as another reminder for me, so thank you for that Brian.

Mark, it seems to be quite often the case for me that when there are several cover versions of the same song, one particular one remains a favourite even if it is not by my most favourite singer. I remember that a while ago you started a thread here on this very topic and I found it very interesting to make the comparisons. I am so pleased that you have a real treasure in owning an acetate of an unreleased Lita song. It brings to mind the same thrill I had when Bernie found an acetate of "Come Into My Heart" which at the time was unreleased.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Gerald - don't forget to mention that we also found an acetate of Ruby's version of 'Jimmy Unknown' at the same time, which then led to asking E.M.I. to search their archives and they come uo with 'If I Were a Blackbird' and 'Isle of Innisfree' all four were unreleased tracks. That was a magical period of excitement.

Adio Amigos. Bernie.