Article Written by Winifred Murray(Rubys Mother)

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Graham Bunn

Article Written by Winifred Murray(Rubys Mother)

Post by Graham Bunn »

"Singing Is A Must For Ruby"

Taken from Picturegoer weekending October 22nd 1955.

Mrs Murray sates.

"I never thought the day would come when I'd be sitting in a dressing room at the London Palladium with my daughter a star singer in a Norman Wisdom revue.

Back at 49 Benburb Street Belfast we lived a simple life,no grand ideas.Rubys dad admired G.H.Elliott and had many of his records.
Thats what really started it all.

When she was a tiny tot Ruby learned a song or two and Dad would encourage her.He'd stand her on a chair and listen "Put more feeling into it" he would say .

In those days she was a tomboy .She certainly wasn't a home girl.If her brother was in any trouble in the street she'd fight for him.Ruby had plenty of spirit..a mind of her own.She wasn't a bit shy.

Her dad always beleived in her and helped her.Now he is so proud of his Ruby.Just let him start talking about her and you find it difficult to get away.But thats only natural Ruby might not be where she is today if he hadn't been so enthusiastic about her future.

Ruby left school and went to work in a sweet shop ,she stayed only a couple of weeks.
Later came an offer for her to join a revue going to Scotland.

Thats why I travel with Ruby today,I suppose she needed me then and we've just got in to the habit of being together.
I never really thought about going back to Belfast and leaving her to fend for herself.Not that she wouldn't be capable,she's a very level headed girl.
But a mother can be useful sometimes.I know what she likes to eat and I cook for us both.We have a nice little flat in Chelsea,nothing fancy but it suites us fine.

Boy friends?Well,theve been no problem to me Ruby just hasn't the time.She's had her crushes like every girl.When she was small it was the film actor Louis Hayward.

Back home in Belfast there were quite a few boys she'd go out with them once and tell me that they weren't her type.

When I asked her what was her type,she didn't know..She'd laugh and say"Any boy with blood in his veins I suppose".

Nowadays she gets proposals from admirers of her singing...six a week.

"Dear Ruby" they write "Iv'e seen you and heard you sing and it may sound crazy but you're my ideal girl and I'd like to marry you".
"Imagine wanting to marry someone you havn't even spoken to.

This may give you the impression that I regard myself as Rubys chaperon.I don't.She's old enough to know her own mind.The truth is that she doesn't have much spare time and in any case she's not a party going type of girl......She gets notions one day it will be painting,the next she'll start playing records until I get sick and tired of listening to them..It goes on for hours......Dickie Valentine,Ronnie Harris,The Mills Brothers,Flanagan and Allen (that one belongs to me but she likes it).

But especially the long playing record of "Carmen Jones" score she went to see the film four times and talked about it and talked about it.
Her favourite singer is Bing Crosby.Strange though she hasn't one record of Bings.

Play her own records ?Never,I'm the one to put them on.Then she calls out from the other room "I like that who is it"or "Thats my favourite singer"...She's sensible enough you see to laugh at herself.

Before I relate the next paragraphs it must be pointed out that this article was written well before Ruby had even met up with Bernie,but it would seem that Mrs Murray did not live up to the statements which she was about to make.

"One of these days for sure Ruby is going to want to get married.When that happens it will be her choice and her life,we wouldn't try to stop her.We couldn't stop Ruby once she has made up her own mind anyway.
I suppose it may be someone in show business.......All I can say is that if a marriage between show business people is to succeed,the couple must be very broad minded.Really I don't believe that many of those professional marriages work out.

But when the time comes it's going to be up to Ruby..She can make her own decisions.
In any case I don't think she has anyone in mind.

If you are reading this article and don't know what happened to Ruby when she did decide to get married I urge you to read

"Ruby My Precious Gem"
The Ruby Murray Story
Written by Bernie Burgess
Published by the Derwent Press.

I hope that you enjoy this article relating to Ruby in the early part of her career

Best Wishes
Last edited by Graham Bunn on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

Jk

Post by Jk »

Hello Graham, thanks again for another great article.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post Subject

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
I feel that I must comment on the article that was written by Winifred Murray that was posted by Graham.

I will be completely honest, despite what she says in the article, she was the epitome of an intererring mother in law and our marriage was not the only one that she interferred in. I should not speak badly of someone who has passed away but seeing as she ruined our marriage I must. Without doubt she, and her husband, 'Big Dan' was the main factor in ruining, not only my marriage to Ruby but my life and my family. I have lived with the pain and the scars ever since. I took away from them the goose that was laying the golden eggs, they didn't like that and they had every intention of driving a wedge between us and they succeeded. The fact that she mentions that in her opinion show business marriages never work out speaks volumes for her outlook on such marriages.

I am sorry to be so outspoken but had it not been for them I would have celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary on the 23rd of this month. Obviously there were other pressures and stresses in Ruby life that contributed but compared to their deliberate and constant interference they were insignificant.

Thank you Graham for you reference to the book, you prove that you are very much aware of the details contained in it.

I hope my next posting will be a much happier one.

Greetings to all Friends/Fans of Ruby's.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.