The Story Behind the 2 New Photos

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

The Story Behind the 2 New Photos

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Gerald has just uploaded a couple of photos for me, I rummaged them from my collection. The first one is a newspaper photo of Ruby in the shop that she bought for her brother Jack. He had been in the RAF but at that time it was possible to buy release from the service and Ruby paid for her brother's release and set him up in a shop business. At around the same time she also sent her father 'Big Dan' money for him to buy a house in Belfast. I relate the story of what happened to both the shop and the house in the book, a quite incredible story.

The second photo presents a fascinating tale. In the latter part of 1996, shortly before Ruby passed away, the powers that be at E.M.I. decided to hold a celebration party at Abbey Road Studios, celebrating 60 years of recording there. Invitations were sent out to all the artistes who were under contract to E.M.I, including all the various labels i.e. Columbia, H.M.V. Parlaphone etc. etc. It was called 'THE GATHERING' and the invitations were sent to each of the recording artistes in the form of a disc, the size of today's C.D.s. Every artiste was requested to bring along their 'invitation' as their entry to the event. In the run up to the occasion a team of film technicians called on every artiste and filmed interviews (I don't think video was about at that time). Ruby's interview was filmed at the Nursing home but sadly she was far too ill at that time to carry out a full interview and of course she was unable to attend the actual event 'THE GATHERING'. The photo is of that invitation disc, which is a treasured possession of mine and it is still in the original presentation folder. I never did see the end product of all the filmed interviews but in any case my attention was drawn to other far more important matters that were unfolding at that time. Many illustrious recording names were making records for E.M.I. during that period, not least of which were of course -The Beatles. Naming some of the other recording stars in that period at E.M.I.- Ronnie Hilton, Alma Cogan, Joan Regan, Malcom Vaughan, Michael Holliday, Ronnie Harris, Ray Burns, Tony Brent, - The Ray Martin Orchestra, Norrie Paramor and his Orchestra, The Big Ben Banjo Band, etc etc. and later on The Four Jones Boys.

Can anyone fill in any other details about the data on the invitation disc??

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Jk

Re: The Story Behind the 2 New Photos

Post by Jk »

Hello all, can I just point out these photoes are under "Miscellaneous Images" :wink:
Regards
John.

MARTIN FOSTER

Re: The Story Behind the 2 New Photos

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi Bernie,

Hi John,

Hope you are both well.

Nice smiling pic of Ruby in the shop.
What an unusual invitation card in the shape of a CD. It is a shame Ruby was too ill to attend and complete the interview.

Martin