The Belfast Plaque News

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Bernie Burgess

The Belfast Plaque News

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Friends.

When posting a message concerning the new viewer. I went on to include news of the Belfast Plaque foolishly not thinking that I was burying the Belfast topic under the same heading. Please turn to 'Welcome Viewer' for the very latest from Belfast City Council, it's very interesting.

Adios Amigos. Bernie

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

Bernie Burgess wrote:Friends,

More news concerning the commemorative plaque to be erected on the facia of the Ulster Hall in Belfast City Centre. My last report on my negotiations with the Belfast City Council resulted in them telling me that the plaque would be erected either before the million pound refurbishment of the Ulster Hall, taken down whilst work is in progress and replaced after completion. or, after the work had been completed. The latter is their decision. The work commences next month and will be complete towards the end of the year, then the plaque will be erected. A little later than I had hoped but nevertheless we have 'lift off'. When I get an exact date I will place the details on the messageboard. There was also a hint that they might be interested in Tim's Tribute show, I am following that up right now.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

The progress on this plaque has been like my school reports - "slow and steady". It must be both frustrating, and at the same time exciting, considering how much work you are putting in to get this memorial for Ruby. I suppose on balance it is better that they carry out and finish the refurbishment first - at least that way there is no chance of either spoiling, or losing the new plaque. It would have been nice to have had it in the Golden Anniversary Year, but at least there appear to be no further obstacles in the way of getting it put up. And anyway, knowing builders, it is bound to be early in the New Year and that gives us all something to look forward to for next year!

Whenever the unveiling takes place, I hope to be there for it.

Was it ever resolved what the words will be on the plaque?
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

The Belfast Plaque,

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Gerald,

I really don't mind being frustrated just as long as the project is completed and the plaque is installed. I did take up the subject of wording but it was so long ago I will have to look back through the email file to remind myself what the outcome was. We all agreed that the wording would need to be contained to a small area. Wouldn't it be great if I could get a date for Tim's 'Tribute Show' in Belfast around the same time, what a nice link-up that would be.

Pleased to hear that you plan to be there when it goes up Gerald, I will definitely be there with you, all being well of course. I feel quite sure that there will be some kind of ceremony, perhaps someone might think of having facilities for playing one of Ruby's tracks? We might even get some interest from the television companies too???

Adios Amigo. Bernie,