Did you know..?

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Teddy O'Neil

Did you know..?

Post by Teddy O'Neil »

Did you know a young Ruby was the first winner of the Archie Coates cup.
Archie Coates was a Belfast crooner in the 1940's who once sang with the Glenn Miller band. Eddie McIlwaine of Belfast Telegraph in an article on the crooner writes: "What isn't generally known is that at the height of his career there was an Archie Coates cup, competed enthusiastically for by promising singers. And the first winner was Ruby Murray who sang Softly,Softly on a television programme called Quite Contrary and became a national favourite."
He also appeared on the same bill as Ruby in shows at the Ulster Hall, Belfast.

Jk

Re: Did you know..?

Post by Jk »

Hi Ted, thank you for your post. No I did not know that peace of information, I had never heard of "Archie Coates" thanks for letting us know, perhaps Bernie will know more about this.
Regards
John.

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends

Although JK believes that I might be able to come up the answer to Teddy's question, I can't, but I know a man as can, well... not a man, a woman, Marie Murphy. I will send an email to Kathleen (spudmurph) and she can ask her Mum for us. Perhaps Kathleen might be able to post the answer?

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

MARTIN FOSTER

Post by MARTIN FOSTER »

Hi guys,

I have not heard of Archie Coates either so will look forward to hear if Marie and Kathleen have any information.

Martin :-)

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,

Just an update on the subject of the Archie Coates cup awarded to Ruby. I have had a chat to Marie on the subject and her recollection is that Ruby must have received the award before leaving Northern Ireland on the road to her success and subsequent fame, which points to the fact that she must have been in her teens. Marie's daughter Kathleen is confined to her bed at this moment with the dreaded flu but I have exchanged emails with her and she has offered to contact Eddie Mcllwaine as he was the reporter who wrote about the incident.

From my own experience, it is rather difficult to contact Eddie, perhaps because he doesn't put the hours in that he used to. However, I expect Kathleen will prersevere and come up with the answer after talking to Eddie. I hope that Kathleen will be able to post the answer to the question very soon.

Adios Amigos. Bernie.

Gerald Lawrence

Post by Gerald Lawrence »

I did a Google on the name Archie Coates, and down the list came upon this link - http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-19392753.html. They are mainly references to newspaper articles for which you have to sign up to read the full article, although this is free for the first month. If anyone has a bit of spare time and would like to do this, we may get to know more about both Archie and Ruby. I will be away for a while, but when I get back I will see if there is anything else I can add.
Gerald

Bernie Burgess

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Hello Friends,
Regarding the ongoing story about Ruby being awarded The Archie Coates Cup. For those of you who have either seen, or downloaded, a copy of the orignal celebratory programme of Ruby's appearance at The Ulster Hall at the age of 12yrs. You would be able to see that one of the artistes appearing in that show is non other than a certain - Archie Coates. I followed up on Gerald's suggestion about logging on and reading the story concerning Archie Coates, there are quite a few pieces about him.

As yet, 'spudmurph' (Kathleen - Marie's daughter) has not been able to talk to Eddie Mcllwaine to get the fulll story from him but I am sure that Kathleen will follow through when she is well enough to pursue the matter.

Adios Amigos Bernie.