Christmas Past

Discussion about Ruby Murray.
Brian Henson

Christmas Past

Post by Brian Henson »

I should really save this snippet until December, but I'm sure to forget by then, so here goes. I was browsing through some ancient copies of the New Musical Express this afternoon, and came to a review of Ruby's panto appearance for Christmas 1960.

TORQUAY PAVILION: Ruby's Leprechaun
An Irish 'Cinderella' has to have a personal leprechaun. And when Ruby plays 'Cinders', who better to portray Shaun the Leprechaun than her husband, former Jones Boy Bernard Burgess.
Bernard's part has been specially written for this 'Cinderella' production, justified fully by his light comedy and vocal prowess.
In addition to scoring via such solo items as 'A Dream Is A Wish' and 'Little Brown Bear', Ruby - a charming 'Cinders' - also duets 'Must Be Santa' and 'A Pretty Irish Girl' with her husband.
(review written by J.F. Fricker)

Any memories of that show, Senor Shaun?

Brian

Bernie Burgess

Re: Christmas Past.

Post by Bernie Burgess »

Yes Brian. -

I have very fond memories of that particular pantomime in Torquay - Christmas 1960/61. Derek Roy played Buttons (he was one of the best Buttons in the business) and the show broke all box office records that year for the Pavilion Theatre. I was none too keen on the producer writing a part in for me, as an Irish leprechaun, I am a traditionalist when it comes to panto etc. and I thought that my part was incongruous and superfluous to the story. Ruby was wonderful in the show, her natural charm was perfect for the part of 'Cinders'

We rented an apartment high up on a hill, by a church, which overlooked the harbour area. I remember it being very cold. I have some colour photos of Ruby sitting 7 month old Julie in the sink in the kitchen to bathe her. Other photos where Paul Burnett, our musical director, was using a gorilla face mask which didn't frighten baby Julie at all, in fact she thought it was hilarious and even reached out to place her fingers in it's mouth.

Towards the end of Ruby's life, I rendezvoued with her and we had a very nostalgic episode having coffee on a balcony in that very same theatre, which by then had been turned into a shoping precinct. As I write in my book, - how I desperately yearned for the fairy godmother to reappear to wave her magic wand to transport us back in time to that same pantomime period.

Happy memories. Adios Amigo. Bernie